St. Peter Claver Parish records
The St. Peter Claver Parish records document the activities and history of the Wichita, Kansas Catholic parish.
- 1931-1974, 2019
- St. Peter Claver Parish (Wichita, Kan.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library reference staff should consult accession file regarding use.
History of St. Peter Claver Parish
In 1930, under the leadership of Father Leon A. McNeill, religious classes for African American Catholics in Wichita, Kansas began. The Sisters of St. Joseph and then the Sisters of the Most Precious Blood replaced the classes taught by lay teachers the next year. On December 19, 1931, St. Peter Claver Church was canonically established at 1225 N. Mosley Street.
In 1937, the Church secured land in the 1100 block of North Indiana Avenue and received permission to proceed to have plans created for the building. The new church on Indiana was completed in 1940. On February 1, 1943, St. Peter Claver School opened; it was the first Catholic school for Wichita's African American children.
By early 1966, St. Peter Claver Church consisted of a church building, gymnasium, classroom complex, and rectory. In February 1966, St. Peter Claver Parish was disbanded and the church buildings and grounds assigned to the Catholic Social Services. Under the joint effort of the Catholic Social Service and Wichita Child Day Care Association, the Claver Day Care Center began operation in 1967.
St. Peter Claver Church was rededicated as Holy Savior Catholic Church on November 22, 2019.
[Information taken from collection materials.]
.5 Linear Feet (1 box + 1 oversize box, 2 folders)
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents
The St. Peter Claver Parish records date from 1931 to 1974 and consist chiefly of scrapbook materials. Other items include census reports and a history of the Parish. All items are photocopies of the originals. Folder arrangement is alphabetical by topic.
Photographs from the collection are located at RH MS-P 465; copy negatives are available for all photographs. Oversize materials are located at RH MS Q235.
RH MS 465
RH MS-P 465
RH MS Q235
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Sister Denise Stewart, C.S.J, 1986; Marc Davis, 2019.
- Guide to the St. Peter Claver Parish Collection
- St. Peter Claver Parish records
- Finding aid prepared by mbw, 2007. Finding aid encoded by mbw, 2007. Finding aid revised by cl, 2010; skt, 2010; mmj, 2023.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
St. Peter Claver Parish Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS 465, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries
Part of the University of Kansas. Kenneth Spencer Research Library Repository
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence KS 66045-7616 United States