Madaline Sullinger papers
The Madaline Sullinger papers are those of a native Kansan, who worked as a nutrition assistant through the Kansas State University Cooperative Extension Service.
- 1971 - 1988
- Sullinger, Madaline (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of Madaline Sullinger
Madaline Hanks was born in Manhattan, Kansas. She attended Manhattan High School as well as Topeka's Kansas Vocational School. Sullinger worked as a sorority house cook before becoming an extension nutrition assistant for the Riley County Extension's Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program in 1974. In 1983, she was a finalist for Kansas State University's Classified Employee of the Year honor.
Sullinger was active in numerous organizations, serving as president of the Kansas Association of Colored Women and Girls Clubs, president of Manhattan's Church Women United, worthy matron of the Sunflower Chapter No. 58 of the Order of the Eastern Star, and as long time secretary of the Smoky Hill Baptist District Association. She was an active member of Pilgrim Baptist Church and served on the Manhattan Urban Renewal Board and Human Relations Council.
Madaline Hanks married Harry Sullinger; the couple had one son, Harry, III.
.25 Linear Feet (1 box + 5 folders, 1 oversize box)
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents
The Madaline Sullinger papers date from 1971 to 1988 and are arranged in a single series. They mainly consist of clippings, awards/certificates, and letters. Folder arrangement is alphabetical by topic. Photographs from the collection are located at RH MS-P 924. Oversize materials are located at RH MS Q236.
RH MS 924
RH MS-P 924
RH MS Q236
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Madaline M. Sullinger, 1988, 1989.
- African American women -- Kansas -- Societies and clubs
- Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program.
- Kansas Association of Colored Women and Girls’ Clubs
- Kansas State University. Cooperative Extension Service
- National Association of Colored Women's Clubs (U.S.)
- Nutrition extension work -- Kansas
- Sullinger, Madaline
- Guide to the Madaline Sullinger Collection
- Madaline Sullinger papers
- Finding aid prepared by mbw, 2007; revised by, cl 2010; revised by skt, 2010; Finding aid encoded by mbw, 2007; revised by skt, 2010
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in <language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Madaline Sullinger Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS 924, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries
Part of the University of Kansas. Kenneth Spencer Research Library Repository
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence KS 66045-7616 United States