Charles William Kahles letters, cartoons, biographical information, photographs
Call Number: RH MS 124
The Charles William Kahles collection contains letters, cartoons, biographical information, and photographs.
- 1892 - 1967
- Kahles, C. W. (Charles William) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of Charles William Kahles, 1878-1931
Kahles was a cartoonist whose work appeared mainly from 1900 to 1931. He was originator of the comic strip, "Hairbreadth Harry" in the Philadelphia Press, the first serial about a policeman, "Clarence the Cop" in the New York World, and the first comic strip about an aviator, "Sandy Highflyer, the Airship Man" in the Philadelphia North American.
1 box (73 items + 1 folder)
RH MS 124
RH MS R2
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Jessie Kahles Straut, Pearl River, New York, 1969.
- Guide to the Charles William Kahles Collection
- Charles William Kahles letters, cartoons, biographical information, photographs
- kpz 20 November 1972, mg 2004; mg 2004
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in <language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Charles William Kahles Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS 124, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas