United Brotherhood of Carpenters & Joiners of Kansas Collection
The collection consists of official minutes, financial records, memorabilia, and photographs related to clubs in Kansas. Kansas City (#1635), Lawrence (#2179), Leavenworth (#499, #2389), and Manhattan (#918) are the primary representatives within the collection. There are also records and information complied by Carl Graves during his authoring of the book "Building the Sunflower State with Hammer and Saw: A History of the Carpentry Trade and Carpenter's Union in Kansas, 1881-1981" published in 1982.
- 1900 - 1984
- United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America. Kansas State Council (Organization)
- Graves, Carl (Carpenter) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
History of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America. Kansas State Council
The Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America began in 1881, formed by carpenter unions led by Peter J. McGuire. The Kansas State Council of Carpenters organized in April 1919 at Junction City, Kansas. The first annual convention took place February 21, 1920 in Topeka, Kansas. The charter and constitution date from this first convention.
7.25 Linear Feet (8 boxes)
Language of Materials
RH MS 822
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Morris Eastland, Russell Ward, Carl Graves, 1982
Gift, Morris Eastland, 1983, 1985
Previously shelved at RH MS 360.
- United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America. Kansas State Council -- Records and correspondence
- Guide to the United Brotherhood of Carpenters & Joiners of America Collection
- United Brotherhood of Carpenters & Joiners of Kansas Collection
- Finding aid prepared by sh, 2006; Finding aid encoded by sh, 2006
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
United Brotherhood of Carpenters & Joiners of America Collection , Kansas Collection, RH MS 822, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas
Part of the University of Kansas. Kenneth Spencer Research Library Repository
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence KS 66045-7616 United States