Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church (Leavenworth, Kan.) papers
Call Number: RH MS P876
The Papers of Bethel A.M.E. Church of Leavenworth, Kansas are those of an African American church in Leavenworth, which is one of the earliest African Methodist Episcopal churches in Kansas.
- 1920, 1949
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
History of Bethel A.M.E. Church of Leavenworth, Kansas
In 1859, Reverend John M. Wilkerson organized Bethel A.M.E. Church, Kansas' first African Methodist Episcopal church, in Leavenworth City. Three years later, in 1861, the land on which the current church stands was deeded to the trustees; building began in 1865 and was completed in 1869. During the Civil War, the Church served as a stop on the Underground Railroad. Although remodeled and expanded, the Church still stands on its original site on Kiowa Street.
Scope and Contents
The Bethel A.M.E. Papers date from circa 1920 and 1949 and consist of two histories, one typewritten and one handwritten; the latter is a photocopy. The Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church (Leavenworth, Kan.) papers also include a photograph located at RH MS-P P876.
RH MS P876
RH MS-P P876
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Rev. C. H. Warren, 1987.
105th anniversary of the Bethel A.M.E. Church. Leavenworth, Kan. : The Church, 1966., at RH E600, Spencer Library (Kansas Collection)
- Guide to the Bethel A.M.E. Church of Leavenworth, Kansas Collection
- Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church (Leavenworth, Kan.) papers
- Finding aid prepared by mbw, 2009; revised by skt, 2010; Finding aid encoded by mbw, 2009; revised by skt, 2010
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in <language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Bethel A.M.E. Church of Leavenworth, Kansas Collection , Kansas Collection, RH MS P876, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries