Wabaunsee County (Kan.) settlement research
This collection of research regarding a late nineteenth-century African American settlement in Wabaunsee County, Kansas was conducted by Penny Clark.
- approximately 1994
- Clark, Penny, 1959- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
History of Wabaunsee Settlement
In May 1879, the Kansas Freedmen's Relief Association (KFRA) established a settlement for African American Exodusters in Wabaunsee County, Kansas, in the areas of Rock Creek and Farmer Townships. Many considered the settlement "a test of [African American] abilities to be self-sufficient." Although the KFRA began to suffer financially, they established another settlement in Wilmington Township. With funds steadily drying up, the KFRA disbanded in May 1880; this meant that the Settlements would no longer receive much needed financial support and settlers began to trickle away. There were 75 African Americans in the settlement in 1880; by 1895 there were only 32 and no African Americans appear on the 1900 census (although "a tiny minority must have remained...[since] the last colonist in the area...left in 1905").
4 folders (4 folders + 1 oversize box)
Scope and Contents
The Wabaunsee County settlement research was conducted circa 1994 and consists of a paper draft and maps. The draft has been hand edited and the maps are copies. Photographs from the Collection are located at RH MS-P P795. Oversize materials are located at RH MS Q260.
RH MS P795
RH MS-P P795
RH MS Q260
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Penny Clark, 1994
- Guide to the Wabaunsee Settlement Collection
- Wabaunsee County (Kan.) settlement research
- Finding aid prepared by mbw, 2007; revised by cl, 2010; revised by skt, 2010; Finding aid encoded by mbw, 2007; revised by skt, 2010
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in <language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Wabaunsee County (Kan.) settlement research, Kansas Collection, RH MS P795, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries