Douglass Hospital Training School records
The Douglass Hospital Training School records are those of the Douglass Hospital school for nurses in Kansas City, Kansas, dating from 1898 to 1989. The collection includes a brief school history; newspaper clippings about Frances McWilliams Booth and Frances Kitchen, both of whom graduated from the school and were later nurses at the hospital; and several photographic snapshots of nurses before and after participating in the school, which are located at RH MS-P P681. Oversize clippings have been physically separated and are located at RH MS R432.
- Creation: 1898 - 1989
- Douglass Hospital (Kansas City, Kan.). Training School (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
History of the Douglass Hospital Training School
The Douglass Hospital Training School of Kansas City, Kansas began in 1898. The School offered two courses of study: a two year course for registered nurses and a one year course for hospital workers and practical nurses. In 1915, the School began a long term affiliation with Western University. A number of the School's graduates went onto Western as teachers or to continue their education, while others remained with the Douglass Hospital for many years.
8 folders (8 folders + 1 oversize box)
Language of Materials
RH MS P681
RH MS-P P681
RH MS R432
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Rosa A. Robinson, 1990.
- Guide to the Douglass Hospital Training School Collection
- Douglass Hospital Training School records
- Finding aid prepared by mbw, 2006; revised by skt, 2010. Finding aid encoded by mbw, 2006; revised by skt, 2010; mwh, 2018; eh, 2018.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in<language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Douglass Hospital Training School records, Kansas Collection, RH MS P681, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas