Riley Rogers family papers
Riley Rogers worked as a gardner in Lawrence, Kansas; this collection reflect the activities of he and his family.
- Creation: 1942 - 1990
- Rogers, Riley, 1862-1952 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of Riley Rogers Family
Riley Rogers was born January 13, 1862 near Ft. Smith, Arkansas to Patsy Tilton. In 1865 the family moved to Lawrence, Kansas, where Rogers attended public school. For a time, Rogers worked for the Santa Fe Railroad and then, in 1894, he began truck gardening. He continued to garden until 1950. During that time he also served as an assistant county assessor and as a clerk in the county treasurer's department.
Riley and Isabel Rogers had six children: Sumner, Sidney, Frederick (Fred), Anna, Riley Jr, and Lucile. Riley Rogers died July 26, 1952 at Lawrence, Kansas.
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents
The Riley Rogers Family Papers date from 1942 to 1990, are arranged in a single series, and consist of such items as obituaries and family history information. Folder arrangement is alphabetical. The Collection's single photograph is located at RH MS-P P824.
RH MS P824
RH MS-P P824
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Dudley Quinton, 1991.
- Guide to the Riley Rogers Family Collection
- Riley Rogers family papers
- Finding aid prepared by mbw, 2007; revised by, cl 2010; Finding aid encoded by mbw, 2007
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in <language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Riley Rogers Family Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS P824, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries