John David Barker family papers
The Papers of the John David Barker Family are those of long time Kansas residents who were active in local groups, such as Topeka's St. John A.M.E. Church.
- 1895 - 1983
- Barker, John D., 1868-1960 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of John David Barker Family
John David Barker was born January 28, 1868 in Clarksville, Tennessee to Sandy and Elizabeth Baker; in 1883 he moved to Topeka, Kansas. There he married Evelina "Eva" Buckner (b. 11 May 1871 to Linnie and John Buckner) in 1887. The couple had seven children: Roy, Katherine, Flora, Eva, Theresa, Allena, and Eugene. Barker held a variety of positions, working as a dining car waiter, a mail carrier, a clerk in the Kansas State Treasurer's office, and a landlord, renting properties in Topeka, Kansas. John D. Barker died September 13, 1960 and Eva Barker died in August 1966.
Theresa Barker married artist Hale Woodruff and eventually moved to New York. Allena Barker married Sam Cary and, like her mother, was very active in St. John AME Church of Topeka, Kansas.
.5 Linear Feet (2 boxes + 1 oversize box, 1 oversize folder, 1 volume)
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents
The John David Barker family papers date from 1895 to 1983 and are arranged by family member within a single series of papers. Papers include correspondence, clippings, and certificates. Folder arrangement is alphabetical.
Photographs from the collection are located at RH MS-P 775. Oversize materials are at RH MS Q189 and RH MS R162. One volume is located at RH MS H20.
RH MS 775
RH MS-P 775
RH MS Q189
RH MS R162
RH MS H20
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, John E. Cary, Sr, 1987.
- Guide to the John David Barker Family Collection
- John David Barker family papers
- Finding aid prepared by mbw, 2006. Finding aid encoded by mbw, 2006. Finding aid revised by eear, 2015; mwh, 2019.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
John David Barker Family Collection, RH MS 775, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries.
- 2015: Addition processed by eear,
- 2016-10-12: updated for version 1.5
- 2019-07-08: Added information to folder of photos per patron info, mwh
Part of the University of Kansas. Kenneth Spencer Research Library Repository
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence KS 66045-7616 United States