Records of the Topeka Black Women's Network
The Topeka Black Women's Network (BWN) began in 1982 as an organization addressing the individual concerns facing black women in Topeka. This collection includes material on club meetings, conferences, meetings, and other events hosted by the BWN.
- 1986 - 1992
- Topeka Black Women's Network (Topeka, Kan.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
History of Topeka Black Women's Network
The Topeka Black Women's Network (BWN) began in 1982, hosting its first conference in 1984. Its mission promotes communication and cooperation while developing leadership in its members. The BWN addresses individual concerns facing Topeka's black women by forging a coalition representing the diversity of the black community as it relates to age, education, and income level. The group hosts conferences, political forums, meetings, and career programs and awards scholarships to students.
.25 Linear Feet (1 box + 1 oversize box)
Scope and Contents
The Topeka BWN collection dates from 1986 to 1992 and includes information on conferences, meetings, correspondence, notes, and other items. Material is arranged alphabetically by folder with items being arranged by date within folders.
Oversize items are kept at RH MS R337 and include flyers and newspaper clippings.
RH MS 1290
RH MS R337
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Deborah Dandridge, 2013.
- Guide to the Topeka Black Women's Network Collection
- Records of the Topeka Black Women's Network
- Finding aid prepared by sda, 2013; revised by awo, 2015.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Topeka Black Women's Network Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS 1290, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries