University of Kansas Museum of Natural History records
The Museum of Natural History at the University of Kansas began as the cabinet of natural history and now includes some 8 million specimens and 1.2 million archaeological artifacts. The records of the Museum are comprised of scrapbooks, artificial records, news releases, news clips, correspondence, budget records, personnel records, and publications.
- Creation: 1878
- University of Kansas. Museum of Natural History (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Some series in this record group will require permission from the office of origin before use. Personnel and student records are closed in accordance with applicable law. All requests are subject to review by the Archives staff to determine accessibility.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
159.5 Linear Feet (189 boxes + 44 volumes, 3 microfilm boxes, 8 large computer tape reels)
Language of Materials
This record is arranged in the following sub-groups:
- Subject Correspondence. Includes Humphrey correspondence
- Chronological Correspondence
- Grants, Research, Proposals and Rejected Proposals
- Visitor's Registers
- Public Education and Workshops
- Publications Office
- Collecting Permits
- Accession Records
- Endowment Funds
- Construction documents, repair and improvement files, equipment
- Museum of Anthropology
University Archives continues to add material to this collection on a regular basis. This description was current as of April 28, 2011.
- Guide to the Records of the University of Kansas
- University of Kansas Museum of Natural History records
- Finding aid prepared by jtf, 2006. Finding aid encoded by jtf, 2006. Finding aid revised by lmb, 2011; mwh, 2019.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
University of Kansas Natural History Museum records, University Archives, RG 33, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries