Joseph A. Cody correspondence
Call Number: RH MS 8
Joseph A. Cody, the uncle of William F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody, was born in Scott County, Iowa. Joseph's letters to his wife, Elvira, and those received from other friends, arranged chronologically from 1854-1885. It also includes letters written by Elvira and those she received from friends prior to her marriage to Joseph A. Cody, arranged chronologically from 1847-1853. Letters written by Elvira's father, Eleazer Cable, a nurseryman in Ohio concerned with the maintenance of the Cable nursery dated from 1837-1869.
- 1837 - 1884
- Cody, Joseph A. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
1 box (13 folders (165 items))
Arranged in the following series:
- First Portion
- Joseph's letters to his wife, Elvira.These are arranged chronologically from 1854-1885. A synopsis of the tone and content of this correspondence is enclosed as an appendix to this series.
- Second Portion
- Letters written by Elvira.The second series is letters written by Elvira and those she received from friends prior to her marriage to Joseph A. Cody. These are arranged chronologically from 1847-1853.
- Third Portion
- Letters written by Elvira's father.Letters written by Elvira's father, Eleazer Cable, a nurseryman in Ohio concerned with the maintenance of the Cable nursery, are included as the third series of this collection. The letters date from 1837-1869.
RH MS 8
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gregory Paul, Northridge, California, 1966.
- Guide to the Joseph A. Cody Collection
- Joseph A. Cody correspondence
- jma 1973; lgg 1973; mg 2004
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in<language> English.</language>
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Joseph A. Cody Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS 8, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas