Laura Powell Collection of Theodore Sturgeon Postcards and Letters
Collection of 34 postcards and 2 letters from science fiction writer Theodore Sturgeon (1918-1985) to Laura Powell, circa August 1976 - April 1979, and undated.
- Creation: 1976 August 11 to 1979 April 11, and undated
- Sturgeon, Theodore (Author, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
.25 Linear Feet (1 document case)
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents
In the late 1970s, Laura Powell, a student at Los Angeles City College, invited American Science Fiction writer Theodore Sturgeon (1918-1985) to speak at her philosophy class. According to Powell, the course was taught by the department head, and the success of the visit led the philosophy faculty member to arrange other speaking engagements for Sturgeon at other institutions. By way of thanks, Sturgeon sent Powell post cards and notes for several years from various locations that he visited with his partner, Jayne Tannehill Englehart. This correspondence dates from approximately August 1976 to April 1979.
The postcards and letters are arranged in chronological order. Undated postcards are located in the last folder.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Laura Powell, 2014
- Guide to the Laura Powell Collection of Theodore Sturgeon Postcards and Letters
- Laura Powell Collection of Theodore Sturgeon Postcards and Letters
- Finding aid prepared by eeh and mab. Finding aid encoded by mab and eeh.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Laura Powell Collection of Theodore Sturgeon Postcards and Letters, MS 320, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas.