Transcript of counsel's arguments and judges' decisions in 192 cases
Transcript of counsels' arguments and judges' decisions in 192 law cases.
- circa 1769?
- Court of Arches (Church of England) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
1 volume : Milk chocolate calf, some gilt ornament. Watermark is not easily seen. Large roundel probably containing Britannia and a counter-mark of a crowned GR. No ornamentation; but headings, rules, cited cases, etc. in red. Script is plain modern hand, small, easily readable. Common Place Book; free endpaper; pages 1-469, 468-529; ; 503-543 [544-546].
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents
Most of these cases came before the Archbishop of Canterbury's Prerogative Court or his Court of Arches; therefore most are concerned with marriage, divorce, probate, church administration, misuse of church property, and misdeeds of clergy. Some concern ships, tenants' duties; also noted in passing are defamation, insanity, students rioting at a coffee-shop, rights to a pew, rebuilding a church, and circumstantial accounts of adultery, child-birth, master-servant relations, and daily life. Each case is considered by the collector as raising a question of law.
Dating for the volume: Sold as 19th-century; but seems to have been written up chronologically from time to time (although nearly a fair copy). Placement and condition of index indicates state of finished book not predicted by writer at beginning; paper probably wouldn't have been plain Gr in 19th century; script and binding could be 18th-century. Original cataloguer suggests that Burrell copied (or had copied) his rough notes from time to time into a neat book.
Other Finding Aids
See the attached for a detailed list by numbered entry: ksrl.sc.proceedingsinecclesiasticalcourts.pdf.
Bookplate (armorial) of Sir Walter Wyndham Burrell, [5th bart., 1814-1886] (Cokayne's baronetages V).
Inscription on front free endpaper signed "J. Edinburgen:, 1905."
Bookplate (armorial) of Dowden Memorial Library, St. Mary's Cathedral, Edinburgh. Marked P7 in pencil.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Booth (Hay on Wye), December 10, 1974
Endpaper and pages 1-8 formerly shelved separately at MS P470.
- Burrell, Walter Wyndham, Sir, 1814-1886
- Burrell, William, Sir, 1732-1796
- Church of England. Diocese of London. Consistory Court
- Civil law -- Great Britain
- Court of Arches (Catholic Church. Province of Canterbury (England))
- Divorce -- Law and legislation -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century
- Dowden, John, 1840-1910
- Ecclesiastical law -- England
- Landlord and tenant -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century
- Maritime law -- England
- Marriage law -- England -- History -- 18th century
- Probate law and practice -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century
- Trials -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century
- Guide to the Proceedings in Ecclesiastical Courts in England
- Transcript of counsel's arguments and judges' decisions in 192 cases
- Finding aid prepared by alh, August 7, 1975. Finding aid encoded in 2005. Finding aid revised by mwh, 2020.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Proceedings in Ecclesiastical Courts in England, MS E181, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas
Part of the University of Kansas. Kenneth Spencer Research Library Repository
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence KS 66045-7616 United States