Verlean Tidwell family papers
The Verlean Tidwell family papers are those of an African American family from Independence, Kansas. The papers document the family of Verlean and Harry Tidwell and their children Charles, Winfred, Cornelius, John Edgar, and Linda.
- Creation: 1917 - 2014
- Tidwell, Verlean, 1917-2012 (Compiler, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
16.25 Linear Feet (17 boxes + 3 oversize boxes, 3 oversize folders, 2 DVDs)
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents
The Verlean Tidwell family papers date from 1917 to 2012 and are arranged alphabetically by family member: Charles Tidwell, Cornelius Tidwell, John Edgar Tidwell, Linda (Tidwell) Calvert, Winfred Tidwell, and Verlean Tidwell. Series for each family member contains such items as announcements, correspondence, newspaper articles and clippings, memorials/obituaries, programs, publications, and organizational memorabilia. Folder arrangement within each series is alphabetical and then by date, when appropriate.
Photographs and oversize materials have been described separately at the end of the finding aid. The bulk of the collection relates to or was collected by matriarch Verlean Tidwell, as well as to her son John Edgar Tidwell and his academic accomplishments at the University of Kansas. The collection overall reflects life in Independence and in the Baptist Church.
The Verlean Tidwell Family Papers date from 1917 to 2012 and are arranged in six main series by individual family member: Charles Tidwell, Cornelius Tidwell, John Edgar Tidwell, Linda (Tidwell) Calvert, Winfred Tidwell, and Verlean Tidwell. Photographs and oversize materials have been described separately.
RH MS 1286
RH MS-P 1286
RH MS Q368
RH MS R334
RH MS 1537
RH MS Q480
RH MS R481
KC AV 101
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gifts, John Edgar Tidwell, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2019.
The following items were removed from the collection and catalogued separately: Independence Homecoming Program Memory Books, 1983, 1986, 1989, 1992, 1995, 1998, 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2016, 2019. Available at Spencer Research Library at RH Ser D3225.
Peters, Jesse Jerome. The Story of Kappa Alpha Psi; A History of the Beginning and Development of a College Greek Letter Organization, 1911-1961. Philadelphia: Kappa Alpha Psi Fratery, . Available at Spencer Research Library at RH C12620.
Ferguson, Heather D. Arkansas City. Part of Series: Images of America. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Pub., 2008. Avilalable at Spencer Research Library at RH C12619.
- Tidwell, Charles, 1937-1969 (Person)
- Tidwell, Winfred, 1939-1993 (Person)
- Tidwell, John Edgar (Person)
- Tidwell, Cornelius, 1947- (Person)
- Calvert, Linda Marie, 1949- (Person)
- Tidwell, Harry H., 1885-1952. (Person)
- Baptist State Convention (Kansas) (Organization)
- Tidwell family (Family)
- Tidwell, John Edgar (Donor, Person)
- Guide to the Verlean Tidwell Family Collection
- Verlean Tidwell family papers
- Finding aid prepared by sen, 2013. Finding aid encoded by sen, 2013. Finding aid revised by awo, 2014; adc, 2018; mwh, 2021, 2023.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Support for the processing of portions of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Verlean Tidwell family papers, RH MS 1286, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas