Sumner High School records
The Sumner High School records are those of the historically African American high school in Kansas City, Kansas. The records reflect both the school and the school's alumni.
- 1906 - 2001
- Sumner High School (Kansas City, Kan.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
History of Sumner High School
Sumner High School (SHS) began in 1905, following passage of Kansas House Bill No. 890, which allowed for the segregation of Kansas high schools. SHS classes met afternoons in the old Kansas City, Kansas High School building. The first SHS class graduated in 1906. That fall, SHS began a 34-year tenure in a new building at Ninth Street and Washington Boulevard.
Beginning in 1923, SHS became a senior high school (grades 10-12). Due to a great increase in enrollment, in 1932 the Kansas City, Kansas Board of Education purchased a site at Eighth and Oakland Avenue for a new facility and stadium. A new athletic field was dedicated that same year. The new SHS building was dedicated January 9, 1940.
SHS faculty taught both college preparatory and vocational courses, and the school gained a reputation for academic excellence. For many years Kansas' only African American high school, the school integrated in 1978. At that time the name changed to Sumner Academy of Arts and Sciences, becoming a school for gifted students.
6.75 Linear Feet (10 boxes + 6 oversize boxes, 3 oversize folders, 4 videocassettes)
Scope and Contents
The Sumner High School records date from 1906 to 2001 and are arranged in five series: School Information, Alumni Information, Artifacts, Audio-Visual Materials, and Photographs.
Within School Information are five subseries: Activities, Administration, Events, PTA, and Miscellaneous. These subseries contain such papers as correspondence, clippings, programs, facility information, and faculty information.
There are three subseries within Alumni Information: Alumni Association, Classes, and Graduate Information. These records include programs, correspondence, and reunion information. Within Classes are documents relating to specific class years. Graduate Information includes documents related to specific SHS graduates, some of which does not directly relate to the school.
The Artifacts series consists of trophies, class keys, and reunion souvenirs.
The Audio-visual Materials consist of twelve reel-to-reel audio tapes and eight reel-to-reel video tapes, all of which are housed with the manuscript items, and four videocassettes. Videocassettes are located at RH Video 22.
Folder arrangement within each series is generally alphabetical by topic, with chronological arrangement of items within each folder. Within the Classes subseries, folders are arranged chronologically by class year when a specific class is concerned.
Photographs from the collection are located at RH MS-P 1137. Arrangement mirrors that used for the papers. Oversize photographs are located at RH MS-P 1137 (f) and RH MS-P 1137(ff). Other oversize items are located at RH MS Q289 and RH MS R245.
The Sumner High School Records date from 1906 to 2001 and are arranged in five series and eight subseries:
- School Information (subseries: Activities, Administration, Events, PTA, Miscellaneous)
- Alumni information (subseries: Alumni Association, Classes, Graduate information)
- Audio-visual materials
RH MS 1137
RH MS-P 1137
RH MS-P 1137 (f)
RH MS-P 1137 (ff)
RH MS Q289
RH MS R245
RH Video 22
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gifts, Sumner High School Alumni Association, 1986, 2002; Sumner High School Class of 1945, 1995; Beatrice Anderson Neely, 1988; Bettie M. Albert, 1988; Joyce Williams, 1988; Mary Conrad, 1992; Dorothy H. Johnson, 1992; Versie Lee Goff, 1995; Doris M. Haley, 1995; Flossie Mae Barber, 1996; Ellie Franklin, 1998; Hargest H. Shumate, 1998; Johnnie Love, 1998, 2003; Bettye J. Maddox, 1999; Vivian Sims, 2004; Ray Robinson, 2014.
Associated publications include the senior annual, published as Sumneriana and later, The Sumner graduate (RH Ser D1286); yearbooks, published as The Sumnerian (RH Ser D1286); and the student newspaper, The Courier, later the Sumner Courier (RH Ser H133).
Citations below reflect the holdings of the Spencer Library:
- Sumner High School. Journalism Department. The Courier: Voice of Spartantown. Located at Spencer Research Library at RH Ser H133.
- Sumner High School. Senior Class. The Sumner Graduate. Located at Spencer Research Library at RH Ser D1286
- Sumner High School. Sumnerian. Located at Spencer Research Library at RH Ser D1286.
- Sumner High School Class of 1953. "Reflections." [Kansas City, Kan.], 1983. Located at Spencer Research Library at RH D6174.
- Sumner High School Alumni Association of Kansas City, Kansas. National Convention. "Sumner in the City: Celebrating the 90th Anniversary of the Founding of Sumner High School, 1905-1978." [Kansas City, Kan.: Sumner High School Alumni Association], 1995. Located at Spencer Research Library at RH D7097.
- Sumner High School Alumni Association of Kansas City, Kansas. National Convention. "Sumner in the City 2000: Continuing the Legacy." [Kansas City, Kan.: Sumner High School Alumni Association], 1995. Located at Spencer Research Library at RH D8370.
- Sumner High School Alumni Association of Kansas City, Kansas. National Convention. "Sumner in the City III, 1905-2005: Still Investing in the Community." [Kansas City, Kan.: Sumner High School Alumni Association], 1995. Located at Spencer Research Library at RH D8371.
Collection previously shelved at RH MS 418. Some photographs previously shelved at RH PH P932.
- African American students -- Kansas -- Kansas City
- African Americans -- Education -- Kansas -- Kansas City
- Kansas Congress of Colored Parents and Teachers
- Schools -- Kansas -- Kansas City
- Sumner High School (Kansas City, Kan.) -- History
- Sumner High School Alumni Association of Kansas City, Kansas
- Sumner High School Parent Teacher Association (Kansas City, Kan.)
- Sumner High School (Kansas City, Kan.) (Organization)
- Sumner High School Alumni Association of Kansas City, Kansas (Organization)
- Guide to the Sumner High School Collection
- Sumner High School records
- Finding aid prepared by mdb, 1987; revised by mbw, 2008; revised by skt, 2010; revised by eh, 2017; adc, 2018.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in<language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Sumner High School records, RH MS 1137, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas