Young Women's Christian Association, Yates Branch records
The YWCA, Yates Branch records are those of a Kansas City, Kansas Young Women's Christian Association affiliate organized in 1913 and dissolved in 1982 after it was absorbed by the Kansas City, Kansas Central Branch YWCA.
- 1917 - 1982
- Young Women's Christian Association (Kansas City, Kan.). Yates Branch (Compiler, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Administrative History of the Ywca, Yates Branch
The Kansas City, Kansas Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA) formed in 1903 and affiliated with the national organization in 1906. The Board of Directors was first approached with the idea of a "colored" branch in 1907 and on March 4th, 1913 at a meeting held in the Mason Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church, the Yates Branch was organized. The Branch was named for Mrs. Josephine Yates, a prominent African-American clubwoman.
The Branch rented buildings at Fifth and State and at Ninth and Nebraska until 1920. In 1920 a building at 337 Washington Boulevard was purchased and used until destroyed by fire on January 20, 1940. In December 1940 a building at 644 Quindaro was purchased. In September 1946 the property at 640 Quindaro was added as an annex.
The Yates Branch YWCA dissolved in 1982, and the Central Kansas City, Kansas YWCA officially absorbed the Yates Branch's work. The Friends of Yates Branch, Inc. is a community organization formed in 1979. On June 8, 1982 it took over many of the activities and community services formerly provided by the Yates Branch YWCA.
6.25 Linear Feet (13 boxes + 2 oversize folders)
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents
The YWCA, Yates Branch records date from 1917 to 1982 and are divided into eight series: Administrative Records; Association Records; Financial Records; National YWCA; Organizations and Clubs; Programs; Publications; and Subject Files. The records provide an overview of the Yates Branch's programs, activities, and focuses during its more than 50 years in operation.
Photographs from the collection are located at RH MS-P 439 and are organized chronologically. Oversize materials have been physically separated and are at RH MS R63.
The Ywca, Yates Branch Papers date from 1917 to 1982 and are arranged in 9 series and two subseries.
- Administrative records
- Association records
- Financial records
- National YWCA
- Organizations and clubs (sub-series: YWCA-sponsored clubs, Outside groups)
- Subject files
- Photographic materials
RH MS 439
RH MS-P 439
RH MS R63
RH MS-P 439(f)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gifts, Friends of Yates Branch via Gladys Burks, 1987, 1988; Clara Criss Flournoy, 1988.
- African Americans -- Kansas -- Kansas City
- African Americans -- Kansas -- Kansas City -- Social conditions
- Community centers -- Kansas -- Kansas City
- Girls -- Societies and clubs -- Kansas -- Kansas City
- Planned Parenthood of Greater Kansas City. Committee for Family Planning
- United Way of Wyandotte County (Kan.)
- Women -- Kansas -- Kansas City -- Societies and clubs
- Young Women's Christian Association (Kansas City, Kan.)
- Friends of Yates Branch (Kansas City, Kan.) (Donor, Organization)
- Guide to the Young Women's Christian Association, Yates Branch Collection
- Young Women's Christian Association, Yates Branch records
- Finding aid prepared by tc, 1988 and kdo, 1989; revised by skt, 2010; revised by eh, 2017.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in<language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Young Women's Christian Association, Yates Branch records, Kansas Collection, RH MS 439, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries
Part of the University of Kansas. Kenneth Spencer Research Library Repository
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence KS 66045-7616 United States