Thomas Williamson architectural collection
This collection contains material from architectural projects, including architectural drawings, tracings, specifications, correspondence, contractor information, and various documents from the Williamson-Loebsack and Associates architectural firm. Over 1000 structures were built by this firm, and this collection contains records from over 600 of those projects. These projects range from public school buildings (elementary, junior, and high schools), college and university buildings, commercial buildings, hospitals, municipal buildings, churches, post offices, and shopping centers to private residences. A majority of these buildings were built in Kansas, but the firm also worked on buildings in Iowa, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin.
- 1912 - 1971
- Williamson, Thomas, 1887-1974 (Architect, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is stored in the KU Annex off-site storage area.
All researchers interested in reviewing this material must consult Spencer Research Library staff (785-864-4334, 9-5 M-F Central Time) no less than three days in advance of a planned visit. Be advised that drop-in requests for this material cannot be accommodated.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of Thomas W. Williamson
Thomas W. Williamson was born in Topeka, Kansas in 1887. He received his associate's degree from Pennsylvania School of Architecture, returned home, and started working for the Kansas State Architect, John F. Stanton. After a year with Stanton, Williamson opened his own practice, Thomas Williamson & Associates, in 1912.
As the firm grew and Victory H. Loebsack joined Williamson, the company changed the name to Williamson-Loebsack & Associates, with a staff of 46 architects, draftsmen, engineers, and other specialists. Williamson-Loebsack & Associates remains the longest-lasting architectural firm in Kansas, operating from 1912 until 1972. Two years after the firm closed, Thomas Williamson died.
Within the sixty years of practicing architecture, the firm produced over 1000 projects. Five of their buildings have made it on the National Register of Historical Places. The most iconic building that Williamson designed was Topeka High School in 1932.
80 Linear Feet (80 boxes + 614 tubes containing rolled items, 4 oversize boxes, 1 oversize folder)
When received by the Spencer Research Library, project documents and drawings from Williamson-Loebsack and Associates were apparently organized by an alpha-numerical system consisting of up to three digits/one or two digits sometimes with a letter (for example, "5/23A" or "119/40"). The collection description contains a note in each listing recording previously assigned numbers.
Drawing sets that came housed together have remained housed together.
Drawings located at RH AD 6 having related business records at RH MS 538 have been marked with an asterisk (*).
RH AD 6
RH MS 538
RH MS Q433
RH MS S54
Contact Spencer Library Reader Services (Library Annex)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Thomas Williamson Jr, 1971.
The architectural drawings for *Topeka High School are located in KSRL, room 225, map case L.
- Guide to the Thomas Williamson Collection
- Thomas Williamson architectural collection
- Finding aid prepared by rcr, 2016. Finding aid encoded by rcr, 2016. Revised by mwh, 2017; lmw, 2017.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Thomas Williamson architectural collection, RH AD 6, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas.