John W. Temple family papers
The John W. Temple family papers are those of an African American family from Topeka, Kansas. The collection documents the family of John W. and Pearl Temple and the lives of their children, James, Jeanette (Temple) Dandridge, Alberta, and Frederick.
- 1898 - 2012
- Temple, John William, 1879-1968 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
6 Linear Feet (11 boxes + 7 oversize boxes, 2 oversize folders)
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents
The John W. Temple family papers date from 1898 to 2012 and are arranged by family member in six series: John and Pearl Temple, James W. Temple, Jeanette (Temple) Dandridge, Alberta Temple, Frederick Temple, and Unattributed Materials.
The first series contains such items as memorials/obituaries, organizational memorabilia, and photographs.
Papers within the remaining family members' series include such items as correspondence, clippings, educational and career information, biographical information, and photographs.
Unattributed materials consists of such items as clippings, miscellaneous memorabilia, and memorials that do not appear to readily belong to a specific family member.
Oversize materials and artifacts have been housed separately and are located at RH MS Q129, RH MS Q411 and RH MS R390. Some artifacts are also located at RH MS 1387.
Photographs from the collection have been housed separately from the main collection and are located at RH MS-P 641, RH MS-P 1288, and RH MS-P 1387. Oversize photographs are located at RH MS-P 641 (ff) and RH MS-P 1387 (f). Copy negatives are available for some images; these are noted within the collection cescription. Two oversize photographs of the 325th Field Signal Battalion are located at RH MS-P 641(ff).
RH MS 641
RH MS-P 641
RH MS-P 641 (ff)
RH MS Q129
RH MS Q411
RH MS R390
RH MS 1288
RH MS-P 1288
RH MS 1387
RH MS-P 1387
RH MS-P 1387 (f)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gifts, Deborah Dandridge, 1996, 2012, 2015; Frederick Temple, 2004; Myra Temple, 2014.
The following item was removed from the collection and cataloged separately:
"Kansas Vocational School, Topeka, Kansas: For Training that Sticks and Pays - We Offer Desserving Boys and Girls Vocational Opportunities, a Future!" Topeka, Kan: The School, [1941?]. Located at Spencer Research Library at RH R153.
Material formerly at RH MS R237 merged into RH MS R390. Material formerly housed at RH MS 641 Box 2 merged into RH MS Q411.
- African American clergy -- Correspondence
- African American families -- Kansas -- Topeka
- African American teachers -- Correspondence
- Dandridge, Jeanette Ruth Temple, 1912-2001
- Spanish-American War, 1898 -- Participation, African American -- Photographs
- Temple family
- Temple, Alberta Mae, 1913-2007
- Temple, Frederick C., 1922-2014
- Temple, James William, 1909-2001
- Temple, John William, 1879-1968
- Guide to the John W. Temple Family Collection
- John W. Temple family papers
- Finding aid prepared by bkm 2006, mbw 2007, 2008; revised by, cl 2010; revised by skt, 2010; revised by sen, 2013; revised by het, 2016; revised by eh 2017.
- 2006, 2007
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
John W. Temple family papers, Kansas Collection, RH MS 641, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas
Part of the University of Kansas. Kenneth Spencer Research Library Repository
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence KS 66045-7616 United States