Manuscripts relating to Guatemala (and Honduras, etc.)
- 1627-1937 (bulk 1640-1830)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
4 Linear Feet (11 document cases) : Binding: Unbound. Presently approximately 650 items in 11 document boxes (4 feet). Boxes 1-9 contain Section A, still largely in Griffith's folders. Box 10 contains B-D. Box 11 contains E-G. Sections A-D are arranged in the order of Griffith's folders.
Scope and Contents
A. Records of the University of San Carlos and the Protomedicato of Guatemala, 1627-1838, 1887-1899. Ca 450 items, chronologically arranged in 9 boxes.
B. 6 governmental decrees, etc, 1824.
C. 1 governmental report, 1831; 1 governmental letter, 1855.
D. Carrera letters, photographs, etc. (Rafael Carrera, 1814-1865, 1st presidente of Guatemalan Republic 1838-1865.)
E. Papers concerning the Rojas and other families, largely genealogical.
F. Photographs of a document concerning settlement in Honduras, 1784.
G. Photographs concerning the missionary Manuel de Jesus Subirana, died in Honduras in 1864; reburied 1937. Licenses to preach; scenes of reburial.
Other Finding Aids
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Guide to the William J. Griffith Guatemala Collection of Manuscripts
- Manuscripts relating to Guatemala (and Honduras, etc.)
- Finding aid prepared by alh, 1981, 1994; revised by ksc, 2006. Finding aid encoded by skt, 2006
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in<language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Griffith Guatemala Collection of Manuscripts, Department of Special Collections, MS 187, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas