Papers of David Erskine, 11th earl of Buchan (1742-1829), about electoral reform movement in Scotland and Yorkshire
This collection includes an autobiography (1793-1794) by David Erskine, 11th earl of Buchan (1742-1829) and allied manuscript material about the electoral reform movement in Scotland and Yorkshire, as well as printed minutes, etc. of Scottish and Yorkshire reform committees (1782-1783). Also present are a few letters to Erskine from Christopher Wyvill (of Hartlepool) and Norman Macleod (1754-1801).
- 1782 - 1783
- Guttridge, G. H. (George Herbert), 1898- (Compiler, Person)
- Buchan, David Stewart Erskine, Earl of, 1742-1829 (Creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
.25 Linear Feet (19 items in 1 document case)
Language of Materials
The historian, George Herbert Guttridge (1898-1969), collected letters by 18th-century English and Scottish figures, primarily Whig politicians. He seems to have obtained these letters in groups of varying sizes, often from bookdealers. Spencer Research Library acquired the collection through the California bookdealer, Joseph Rubinstein, following Guttridge's death in 1969. During processing, the Guttridge Collection manuscripts have been subdivided, following their original provenance, into the Correspondence of Sir William Lee ; the Papers of David Erskine, 11th earl of Buchan; the Correspondence of Lady Mary Holland; and Miscellaneous Correspondence. A group of 154 printed pamphlets acquired at the same time have been cataloged separately as printed works. Formerly part of Phillipps 16939 and 23531.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchase, Joseph Rubinstein, after 1969.
- Guide to the Guttridge Collection of the Papers of David Erskine
- Papers of David Erskine, 11th earl of Buchan (1742-1829), about electoral reform movement in Scotland and Yorkshire
- Finding aid prepared by alh, 1988; revised by ksc, 2006. Finding aid encoded by skt, 2006.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in<language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Papers of David Erskine, 11th earl of Buchan (1742-1829), about electoral reform movement in Scotland and Yorkshire, MS 201, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas.
Part of the University of Kansas. Kenneth Spencer Research Library Repository
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence KS 66045-7616 United States