Letter to "My Lord" [Godolphin]
Political letter from Charles Montagu, Earl of Halifax (1661-1715) to "My Lord" [i.e., Godolphin, Sidney Godolphin, 1st earl, 1645-1712].
- August 9, 1705
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
1 folder (4 pages (1 piece)) : Collation: Signed Halifax. Docketed.
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents
Incipit: I return the Letters, w^ch your Lorship was pleased to put into my hands.
Summary of Contents: Returning letters with thanks; sorry the Settlement of the Succession could not be carried; the Scots Nation little disposed to a Union. The Queen has a strong party. Tackers and Act of Security. Your rule that the Queen should reward for merit not politics a good one; I trust you will implement it soon. Lord Somers concurs.
Letter written in Hertfordshire, England at Bellbar House.
1. Godolphin heirs: i.e. descendants of his grand-daughter, Mary Godolphin, who married Thomas Osborne, 4th Duke of Leeds (1713-1789). 2. Sold at the Duke of Leeds' sale (during the lifetime of the 8th Duke), Sotheby, April 5-10, 1869, "Catalogue of an important collection of autograph letters & historical papers..." 3rd day, page 61, item 429. Summary and short quote; sold for £1/5/- to Boone.3. Thereafter location unknown until purchased by Spencer Research Library from Sotheby in 1975.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchase, Sotheby, 1975.
- Guide to the Charles Montagu, Earl of Halifax Collection
- Letter to "My Lord" [Godolphin]
- Finding aid prepared by alh, 1975. Finding aid encoded by skt, 2006.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in <language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Letter from Charles Montagu, Earl of Halifax, Department of Special Collections, MS P475, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas
Part of the University of Kansas. Kenneth Spencer Research Library Repository
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence KS 66045-7616 United States