Ella Bowers scrapbook
The Ella Bowers scrapbook documents Mrs. Bowers' social activities as a Lawrence, Kansas resident and member of the African American community.
- Bowers, Ella, 1871- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of Ella Bowers
Ella Bowers was born in 1871 in Kansas. She married James L. Bowers (born around 1884 in Kansas). She was active in a number of organizations, including the Dunbar Club, the Richard Allen Society at St. Luke A.M.E. of Lawrence, Kansas, and Delta Sigma Theta.
1.67 Linear Feet (1 oversize box with 4 folders) ; 16 x 20 cm
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents
The Ella Bowers scrapbook dates from the 1930s through the 1940s. It contains such elements as clippings, cards, invitations (especially to graduations and weddings), and club programs and memorabilia. Most items focus on Lawrence, Kansas and the vicinity. Some pages are fragile and all should be handled with care.
RH MS Q239
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Sharon Hagen, 2000.
- Guide to the Ella Bowers Collection
- Ella Bowers scrapbook
- Finding aid prepared by mbw, 2007. Finding aid encoded by mbw, 2007
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in<language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Ella Bowers scrapbook, Kansas Collection, RH MS Q239, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas
Part of the University of Kansas. Kenneth Spencer Research Library Repository
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence KS 66045-7616 United States