Poems of James Maidment
Album: collection of 30 manuscripts and printed poems: political satires, drinking songs, etc. Most appear to be separately produced contemporary copies or originals, bound in or tipped in. Places: England and Scotland.
- Composed: between 1600? to 1808
- Maidment, James, 1793-1879 (Person)
Language of Materials
English and Latin
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of James Maidment
James Maidment, 1795?-1879, was a Scottish lawyer and genealogist, as well as an antiquarian, collector, and publisher, and a friend of Sir Walter Scott's. According to the bookdealer, this vol. was no 690 in Maidment's 1880 sale, probably consisting of items collected and annotated by him.
1 volume (30 items) : Almost every item is in a different hand. Probably most are contemporary copies, and not in the hands of the several authors. Title page reads, "A Collection of Poems." The title on the spine is "Miscella. Poetical Pieces".Album paper is coarse, light brown, with small watermark "GR" [?]
Scope and Contents
The items appear to be arranged roughly chronologically, except item 23. Written: 16-- to 18-- [i.e. originals or contemporary copies]. Exception (item 23): Germany, 1562.
Other Finding Aids
For a detailed description: ksrl.sc.maidment.pdf
1. Armorial bookplate. Arms: apparently of Maidman (Portsea, Southampton). Arms: On a chevron between 3 doves, 3 laurel slips. Crest: clothed arm grasping dove. No text. Plate mutilated by previous attempts to remove: wants right and lower margins. Thin paper.
2. Pencilled scrawl on album-leaf pasted to front free endpaper: "[undeciphered name], West Street, Bridport".
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Pickering and Chatto. 1991.
- Guide to the Maidment Collection
- Poems of James Maidment
- Finding aid prepared by alh, January 29, 1991. Finding aid encoded by mg, 2005
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Maidment Collection, Department of Special Collections, MS E260, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries