Kansas Vocational School history and photographs
The Kansas Vocational School History is a handwritten history in an undated spiral-bound notebook of the Topeka, Kansas school, which later changed its name to the Kansas Technical Institute (KTI). The collection also includes several photographs of KTI dating from the 1950s.
- [after 1955]
- Kansas Vocational School (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
History of the Kansas Vocational School
The Kansas Vocational School (KVS), located in Topeka, Kansas, began in 1896. In 1919 the Kansas Legislature recognized the School as a regular state school; four years later, in 1923, the name changed from Kansas Industrial and Educational Institute to KVS. The School's name was again changed in 1951 to the Kansas Technical Institute (KTI).
Post-World War II, non-African American students joined the student body. However, the institute was closed in 1955. This was, according to the legislature, in order to integrate and remove segregation in schools after the 1954 Brown v. Board of Education case.
4 folders ; Folders measure 22x37 cm.
Language of Materials
RH MS P880
Immediate Source of Acquisition
History: uncertain provenance; photographs: gift, C. Smith, 2012.
- Guide to the Kansas Vocational School Collection
- Kansas Vocational School history and photographs
- Finding aid prepared by mbw, 2009. Finding aid encoded by mbw, 2009. Finding aid revised by mwh, 2021.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Support for the processing of portions of this collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Kansas Vocational School history and photographs, Kansas Collection, RH MS P880, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas
Part of the University of Kansas. Kenneth Spencer Research Library Repository
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence KS 66045-7616 United States