Biographical accounts of George Byng, 1st viscount Torrington (1663-1733), and his son, Admiral John Byng (1704-1757)
- 1801, 174-?
- Byng, John, 1704-1757 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
1 volume : Binding: Calf, contemporary. Supra-libros: Byng crest. c 1770? Pagination: 1-3, 1-230 leaves. Ornamentation: Engraved portrait of George Byng, 1st viscount Torrington, attached to verso of last printed leaf. Material: Paper.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Attribution of authorship: Cataloger suspects either Henry Pattee Byng (died 1747) because of reference to ill-health and expectation of short life by author, or one of the large number of sisters, which would explain shakiness on naval tactics and unfamiliarity with names of foreign naval commanders (misspellings quite explicable if author knew people only from oral accounts).
- Guide to the Byng Family Biographical Collection
- Biographical accounts of George Byng, 1st viscount Torrington (1663-1733), and his son, Admiral John Byng (1704-1757)
- Finding aid prepared by am, 1961; revised by ksc, 2006 Finding aid encoded by skt, 2006
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in<language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Byng Family Biographical Collection, Department of Special Collections, MS E32, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries