"A sentimental ramble through a part of the United States. Containing an accurate register of the several conversations, sentiments and opinions of the several travellars [sic] and inhabitants by the way"
Evidently an admirer of Irish-born English novelist and clergyman Laurence Sterne, Fenton wrote this account of his travels through Ohio, Pennsylvania and Maryland in the early years of the 19th century. Loose items found in the volume have been physically separated and are located at MS P112.
- 1822 - 1867
- Fenton, Samuel L., 1781-1834 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
1 volume (1 volume + 4 folders) : Binding: ¼ leather, paper boards, loose. Pagination: p., pages 2-16, 63-64, 67-98, 101-140, 143-226, 229-278, 283-288, 291-369 [4p.] Material: Paper. Scribe: Author. Title is from title page in volume. ; 25 x 17 cm
Author’s signature on flyleaf, family documents laid in.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Wheden, before 1960.
- Guide to Samuel Fenton's Travel Account Collection
- "A sentimental ramble through a part of the United States. Containing an accurate register of the several conversations, sentiments and opinions of the several travellars [sic] and inhabitants by the way"
- Finding aid prepared by js/sm; revised by ksc, 2006. Finding aid encoded by skt, 2006.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in <language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Samuel L. Fenton collection, Department of Special Collections, MS C6, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas