Todd family photographs
Adam and America Todd were African Americans enslaved to the Tribble family of Platte County, Missouri. The Todds later immigrated to Kansas, where multiple generations have continued to live.
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
History of the Adam Todd Family
Adam and America Todd were enslaved to the Tribble family of Platte County, Missouri. When they were freed, the Todds moved to Kansas with another formerly enslaved family, the Paynes; they first settled in Leavenworth and then moved to Oskaloosa. The Todds had six children, however only two of the children's names are known: Hazel and Thomas.
Hazel Todd was born 25 November 1854. On 31 July 1872 in Leavenworth, Kansas, Todd married Nancy Jane Lilly Payne (b 24 October 1854 to Lucinda Payne). The couple had thirteen children, three of whom died as infants. The eldest son, Hazel, Junior, married Gertrude Stice (b 1885) on 26 September 1900 in Oskaloosa; they had six children. Hazel Todd, Sr. died 19 January 1947; his wife, Nancy, died 29 September 1937.
Thomas Todd married Eliza Walton in Eudora, Kansas; the couple had five children: Solon, Clarence, Eugene, Mable, and Madge. Madge Todd married Fred James, also in Eudora; they had ten children: Ruth, Katherine, Martha, Francis, Delbert, Marvin, Erma, Leda, Harvey, and Oneida. Ruth James married Howard Estelle on 30 November 1929 in Eudora. The couple had nine children: Howard, Jr., Beverly, Karlene, Ermal-Jean, Norman, Everett, Loretta, Kenneth, and Lynn.
Adam Todd died at the age of 98. America Todd died in 1920.
0.5 Linear Feet (1 document case)
Scope and Contents
The Todd family photographs consist of thirty-seven images representing three generations of the Todd family, as well as their contemporaries. The images are reproductions made from the originals.
RH PH 74
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Loaned for copying, Loretta Carraher, 1985.
- African American children -- Kansas -- Pictorial works
- African American families -- Kansas -- Pictorial works
- Estelle family -- Pictorial works
- Slaves -- Missouri -- Platte County -- Pictorial works
- Todd family -- Pictorial works
- Todd, Adam (Freedman) -- Pictorial works
- Todd, America, -1920 -- Pictorial works
- Guide to the Adam Todd Family Collection
- Todd family photographs
- Finding aid prepared by nb, 1996. Finding aid encoded by rw, 2008; revised by mbw, 2010; mwh, 2018; ew, 2021.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Adam Todd Family Collection, RH PH 74, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries.