Letters chiefly Milton P. Chambers, Company B, 29th Iowa Infantry Regiment to Amory K. Chambers
Call Number: RH MS 531
Letters to Amory K. Chambers of Glenwood, Iowa, 1863 to 1869, chiefly from his brother Milton P. Chambers, whose letters from 1863 to 1865 are from Tennessee, Texas, and Alabama while serving in Company B of Iowa's 29th Infantry Regiment, and whose letters following the war are from Cass County, Missouri.
- 1863 - 1869
- Chambers, Amory K. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of Amory K. Chambers
Both Amory Chambers and his brother Milton Chambers were natives of Glenwood (Mills County), Iowa at the outbreak of the Civil War. On August 14, 1862, Milton Chambers enlisted as a private in Company B of the Iowa's 29th Infantry Regiment, and served in its military campaigns in Tennessee, Texas, and Alabama. Following the war, he engaged in farming in Cass County, Missouri. During the Civil War, Amory Chambers remained in Glenwood, Iowa, where he married Nancy J. Barbee in 1872.
.25 linear foot (1 box)
Scope and Contents
Of these letters to Amory K. Chambers, dated 1863 to 1869, most are from his brother Milton P. Chambers either while serving in the Civil War or while farming in Missouri following the war. In his six letters written from 1863 to 1865 while serving in Iowa's 29th Infantry Regiment, Milton Chambers writes of troop activities, conditions, and engagements in Tennessee, Texas, and Alabama, and of family members and neighbors with whom he is serving. His four letters to his brother following the war describe his life as a farmer in Cass County, Missouri. Other letters to Amory Chambers include ones from his sister Sarah, from L. P. Chambers, and from a friend. Two poems are by Amory Chambers' future wife, Nancy Barbee. Letter arrangement is chronological.
RH MS 531
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchase, Charles Apfelbaum.
- Cass County (Mo.) -- History
- Chambers family.
- Chambers, Amory K. (Correspondent)
- Chambers, Milton P. (Correspondent)
- Iowa -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives
- United States. Army. Iowa Infantry Regiment, 29th (1862-1865). Company B
- Guide to the Amory K. Chambers Collection
- Letters chiefly Milton P. Chambers, Company B, 29th Iowa Infantry Regiment to Amory K. Chambers
- Finding aid prepared by mh, 2004; revised by skt, 2010; Finding aid encoded by mh, 2004; revised by skt, 2010
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in <language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Amory K. Chambers Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS 531, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries