MYgration stories: the oral histories of Hispanic immigrants in Kansas City, Kansas
Project report, sound cassettes, and transcripts of interviews of thirty-one Hispanic and Latino immigrants to the United States, residing in Kansas City, Kansas. Interviews were conducted January-October, 2003.
- El Centro, Inc. (Kansas City, Kan.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
.25 Linear Feet (1 document case + 24 cassettes)
Scope and Contents
The collection includes a nine-page project report, interview transcripts, and sound cassettes of taped interviews of thirty-one Hispanic and Latino immigrants to the United States, residing in Kansas City, Kansas. At RH MS 565 are the project report and transcripts of the twenty-four interviews conducted in this oral history project, funded by the Kansas Humanities Council, acting in partnership with El Centro, Inc. of Kansas City, Kansas. At RH Cass. Tape 14 are the twenty-eight sound cassettes which contain the interviews.
The interviews were conducted from January to October, 2003 by project director Rebekah L. Moses. Interview questions focus on five broad areas: basic demographic information, the immigration experience of interviewees, expectations versus reality, national identity, and racial discrimination. The report of the project describes the interview questions and summarizes the demographics of interviewees as well as their responses.
Following the report are the interview transcripts, arranged alphabetically by surname of the interviewee. Consistent with the language of the interviews, eighteen of the transcripts are in Spanish; six are in English. As noted in the Collection Description, asterisks identify interviews in which an assumed name was used by request of the interviewee.
The content of this collection is arranged in two series:
Project report and transcripts of interviews, 2003.
Sound cassettes of interviews conducted January-October, 2003.
RH MS 565
RH Cass. Tape 14
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, El Centro, Inc, 2004
- El Centro, Inc. (Kansas City, Kan.)
- Hispanic Americans -- Cultural assimilation -- Kansas
- Hispanic Americans -- Kansas -- Kansas City
- Kansas -- Emigration and immigration
- Kansas City (Kan.) -- Social conditions
- Kansas Humanities Council
- Latin Americans -- Kansas -- Kansas City
- Mexican Americans -- Kansas -- Kansas City
- Moses, Rebekah L.
- Guide to the MYgration Oral History Project
- MYgration stories: the oral histories of Hispanic immigrants in Kansas City, Kansas
- Finding aid prepared by mh, 2004; revised by skt, 2010; Finding aid encoded by mh, 2004; revised by mrk, 2010; revised by skt, 2010
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
MYgration stories: the oral histories of Hispanic immigrants in Kansas City, Kansas, RH MS 565, Kansas Collection, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries