L. K. Hughes photograph collection
- 1944 - 2010
- Hughes, Leon K., 1913-1978 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Biography of L. K. Hughes
Leon K. Hughes died in 1978. He had two children: a daughter, Norma Jean, and a son named Aloyous.
10.5 Linear Feet (21 document cases + 1 oversize box, 2 DVDs) : Approximately 2785 photographs ; All photographs measure 11x14" or smaller.
Scope and Contents
Where possible, identification has been given from captions or more recently provided information. Unidentified photographs have been described in-depth on their housing. Typed captions, unattached upon the collection's receipt, have been included in their own folder at the end of the collection. Where only partial identification is available, a question mark has been included within the labeling (e.g. "? Smith"). Where multiple, identified prints of the same size are housed in one folder, subjects of individual prints are noted in the Collection Description below.
Although the majority of the images were grouped during the collection's processing, the Performers subseries were left in their original grouping of the same name. Where a subject appears in photographs across multiple categories, an effort has been made to provide cross reference information; this information is included below as "See also" notes.
Arrangement is chiefly alphabetical by name or, if name is unavailable, by subject; where arrangement is by names, the last name is used where possible. Wedding photographs are arranged alphabetically by the husband's last name unless unavailable, at which point the wife's last name is used. For those wedding photographs with the place identification of "Tabunacular Church", this spelling provided in the Collection Description reflects that written on the images themselves.
Within the Clubs sub-subseries are a number of largely unidentified debutante photographs. While some images appear to belong to the same year, due to a lack of identification they had to be housed alphabetically; however, those images that appear to belong to the same year have been given a group number, which is indicated in the Collection Description below.
Photograph size given is in inches. Unless noted with a "b/w" (to indicate black and white), images are in color. The term "image" has been used to indicate photographs with differing subjects (e.g. 2 images include a photo of subject A and one of subject B). The term "copies" has been used to indicate multiple prints of the same image. Where possible, those photographs taken by Rosie Hughes are indicated in the Collection Description.
Two oversize (11x14") images are housed at RH PH 506(f). Two DVDs are located at RH Video 27.
- Events, 1962-1976
- Subseries: Birthdays, Funerals, Graduations, Weddings, and Wedding Anniversaries.
- People, 1944, 1948-1949, 1953-1955, 1961, 1964-1965, 1967-1969, 1973, 1975
- Subseries & Sub-subseries: Children (incs.: Babies, Boys, Boys and Girls, Girls, and Groups), Families (incs.: Men with Children and Women with Children), Groups, Men (incs. Groups), Men and Women, Organizations (incs.: Church-related, Clubs, Greeks, Masons/Shriners/Etc., Scouting, and Sporting), Performers, and Women (Crown winners, Groups, Nursing).
- Nonhuman Subjects, 1953, 1956, 1961, undated
- Subseries: Buildings and Miscellaneous.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- African American freemasonry -- Kansas -- Pictorial works
- African American photographers -- Pictorial works
- African Americans -- Kansas -- Wichita -- Pictorial works
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority -- Pictorial works
- Children -- Kansas -- Pictorial works
- Families -- Kansas -- Pictorial works
- Fraternal organizations -- Kansas -- Pictorial works
- Greek letter societies -- Kansas -- Pictorial works
- Hughes, Leon K., 1913-1978
- Hughes, Rosie E., 1913-
- L.K. Hughes Photography (Wichita, Kan.)
- Links, Inc -- Pictorial works
- Weddings -- Kansas -- Pictorial works
- Wichita (Kan.) -- Pictorial works
- Women -- Kansas -- Societies and clubs -- Pictorial works
- Women photographers -- United States -- Pictorial works
- Guide to the Hughes Photograph Collection
- L. K. Hughes photograph collection
- Finding aid prepared by mbw, 2010. Finding aid encoded by mbw, 2010. Finding aid revised by eear, 2015; ew, 2020.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
L.K. Hughes photograph collection, Kansas Collection, RH PH 506, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas