David Beard photographs
This collection includes photographs owned by David Beard, a lifelong resident of Topeka, Kansas who worked as a porter at the Jayhawk Hotel in Topeka and later as a dining car employee for the Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe railroad. The photographs in black and white show various groups of African Americans from local Topeka organizations, including the Improved Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks of the World (IBPOEW), St. John's African Methodist Epsicopal Church, and the Iron Horsemen, a group of dining car employees to which Beard belonged.
- 1922, 1927, 1957
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
3 folders (2 folders + 1 oversize folder) ; 22x37 cm, 90x120 cm
RH PH P2217
RH PH P2217(ff)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gifts, David Beard, Jr, 1987; Almenita Beard, 1999.
- Guide to the David Beard Collection
- David Beard photographs
- Finding aid prepared by cde. Finding aid encoded by cde. Finding aid revised by mwh, 2016.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
David Beard photographs, RH PH P2217, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas.