Un Voyage aérien; dans cinquante ans.
- Farcot, Eugène, 1830-1896 (Author, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Biography of Eugène Farcot
In 1859, Farcot published his ideas for steam-powered balloons in a brochure, "La navigation atmosphérique" (Paris, Librairie nouvelle). Five years later, in 1864, he imagined in his manuscript novel, “Un Voyage aérien; dans cinquante ans,” that by 1914 it would be possible to travel from Europe to Africa in a steam-powered dirigible airship.
Meanwhile, Farcot himself made an exciting journey in a conventional hot-air balloon in 1870. On October 12, 1870 Farcot piloted the “Louis-Blanc,” one of the balloons used to carry mail out of Paris, while the city was besieged by the German army during the Franco-Prussian War. His successful flight took him to Belgium, thus making him the first French aeronaut to land in Belgium.
When Farcot died in 1896, his son and daughter were already deceased, but his son-in-law, whose surname was Wandenberg, continued his clock business until 1906. Farcot’s will included a substantial bequest to the Société française de navigation aérienne, founded in 1872.
1 volume : Manuscript, ink on paper, with annotations in ink and pencil. Binding, half morocco, marbled paper boards. ; 19 x 25 cm
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- E. Farcot. 1859. La navigation atmosphérique. Paris, Librairie nouvelle. Accessible via Internet at URL: https://archive.org/details/lanavigationatm01farcgoog
- E. Farcot. 1874. Voyage du ballon le Louis-Blanc. Paris, Le Chevalier. Accessible via Internet at URL: http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k64714476.r
- Wilfrid de Fonvielle. 1896. “Eugène Farcot” [obituary]. L’Aeronaute. 29, no. 4 (Avril), 75-79. Accessible via Internet at URL: http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k5706687j/f3.image.r
- Guide to the Eugène Farcot Literary Manuscript
- Un Voyage aérien; dans cinquante ans.
- Finding aid compiled by ksc, 2015. Finding aid encoded by mwh, 2016.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Farcot, Eugene. "Un Voyage aérien; dans cinquante ans," MS K32, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas.