Charles and Julia Dandridge family papers
The Charles and Julia Dandridge family papers are those of a longtime African American Topeka, Kansas family. The papers specifically focus on the couple's older son, Pearl Milburn Dandridge, and his family.
- 1901 - 1995
- Dandridge, Pearl Milburn, 1901-1977 (Compiler, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
History of the Charles and Julia Dandridge Family
Charles Ernest Dandridge was born February 8, 1870 in Miami, Missouri. He worked as a store foreman for the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad. Dandridge married Julia Graves (born February 16, 1872 in Saline County, Missouri to Henry and Landonia Graves). The couple had two sons, Pearl Milburn and Orlando Hamilton. Julia (Graves) Dandridge died May 8, 1951; Charles E. Dandridge died January 4, 1958.
Pearl Milburn Dandridge was born in 1901 in Topeka, Kansas. He attended Washington Elementary School. In 1918, he began to work as a laborer in the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad Topeka shops; in 1922 he became a boilermaker helper. Dandridge retired from the railroad on June 3, 1967.
Milburn Dandridge married Mildred W. Brown, daughter of Hezikiah and Amelia (Crawford) Brown. The couple had a daughter, Deborah Louise, born in Topeka. Mildred Dandridge died in January 1951. Dandridge later married Jeanette Temple (born 1912 in Topeka to John and Pearl Temple). Milburn Dandridge died September 27, 1977. Jeanette (Temple) Dandridge died in 2001.
Orlando Dandridge, Charles' and Julia's second son, was born in 1902 in Topeka. He married Frances and the couple had one daughter, Bonnie Lee.
3 Linear Feet (6 boxes + 1 oversize box, 1 oversize folder, 2 VHS tapes, 2 cassette tapes)
Scope and Contents
The Charles and Julia Dandridge family papers date from 1901 to 1995 and are arranged in two series at RH MS 1153 for the original donation and RH MS 1306 for the additions. Papers include correspondence, clippings, diplomas, and certificates. Folders arrangement is by family member, with alphabetical arrangement within each person's folders at each separate location.
Photographs from the collection are located at RH MS-P 1306 and RH MS-P 1306(f). Oversize materials have also been physically separated and are at RH MS R257 and RH MS R350.
RH MS 1153
RH MS 1306
RH MS-P 1306
RH MS-P 1306 (f)
RH MS R350
RH Video 45
RH Cassette Tape 67
RH MS R257
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Deborah Dandridge, 1995, 1997, 2004.
- African American families -- Kansas -- Topeka
- Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company
- Dandridge family
- Dandridge, Charles Ernest, 1870-1958
- Dandridge, Deborah L., 1946-
- Dandridge, Jeanette Ruth Temple, 1912-2001
- Dandridge, Julia Graves, 1872-1951
- Dandridge, Pearl Milburn, 1901-1977
- Graves family
- Railroads -- Employees
- Temple family
- Temple, John William, 1879-1968
- Guide to the Charles and Julia Dandridge Family Collection
- Charles and Julia Dandridge family papers
- Finding aid prepared by mbw, 2008; edited by ea, 2013.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in<language encodinganalog="language">English</language>
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Charles and Julia Dandridge family papers, RH MS 1153, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas