Lawrence R. Good professional papers
This collection covers the architectural career of Lawrence Good, starting with his time in the army and beginning his education at the Royal College of Architecture through his private practice career. The collection includes tracings, specifications, working drawings, and other materials related to the architectural design process, as well as correspondence, news clippings, reference material, data, contarcts, analyses and reports, presentation design booklets for clients and the general public to review, slides and photographs, and other related materials.
- Creation: 1945 - 1997
- Good, Lawrence R. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of Lawrence Good
Lawrence R. Good was born November 6, 1924 in Omaha, Nebraska. He attended Peru State Teachers College in Nebraska from 1942-1943 before joining the U.S. Army during World War II. While in the Army, he received a diploma from the University of Idaho for the Army Specialized Training Program and served in the European Theater before being honorably discharged in 1946. In 1945 he also received a certificate from the Architectural Association of London, England, through a training within civilian agencies program offered through the Army. Good received a bachelors in architecture from Kansas State University in 1952 and a masters of archtecture from the University of Kansas in 1963.
Good held a student apprenticeship with John Latenser & Sons in Omaha from 1947-1948. He then served as a designer with firms in Wichita, Kansas (Benedick and Hines, 1953-1955) and Kansas City, Missouri (Gentry and Voskamp, 1955-1959). In the late 1950s and early 1960s, while working on his masters at KU, Good was both a principal archtiect with Hardy, Schumacher and Good and was an instructor in architecture at KU.
From 1964-1965, Good served as director of a research program into architectural environment and human behavior. From 1965-1970 he was president of the Environmental Research Foundation in Topeka, Kansas.
Lawrence Good was in private practice from 1968 until his retirement and was a licensed architect in both Kansas and Missouri. He designed both commercial and residential buildings. Some of his notable public buildings included the Biddle Rehabilitation Center at Osawatomie State Hospital in Kansas; the University of Kansas School of Law building (Green Hall) and West Junior High School auditorium for the Lawrence, Kansas unified school district #497; a commmunity center remodel and Holcom Park recreation center for the Lawrence, Kansas Department of Parks & Recreation; an addition to the Alpha Iota Chapter House of the Theta Xi fraternity in Manhattan, KS; and an addition to the Valleyview Care Home in Lawrence, KS, among many other projects.
[Information in this note taken from collection materials.]
8 Linear Feet (9 boxes + 13 oversize boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection has been left in the order in which it was found, organized by storage file drawers and oversize portfolio boxes for large format drawings and plans. While several projects may have large groupings of records next to each other, material related to a particular project may appear in more than one location, particularly if there are oversize plans at RH MS S64 related to the material located at RH MS 720.
RH MS 720
RH MS S64
Materials now located at RH MS S64 formerly located at RH MS S18.
- Guide to the Lawrence R. Good Collection
- Lawrence R. Good professional papers
- Finding aid prepared by kac, 2006. Finding aid encoded by kac, 2006. Finding aid revised by mwh, 2017; sc and mwh, 2019.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in <language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Lawrence Good professional papers, RH MS 720, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas.