Personal papers of Jack Brooking
Jack Brooking, sometimes referred to as Jack Beach, was a professor of speech and debate at the University of Kansas from 1955-1974. This collection includes photographs, slides, news clippings, programs, and posters concerning theatrical productions he directed or otherwise helped produce at KU and in Costa Rica or Guatemala City.
- 1956 - 1974
- Brooking, Jack, 1927- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of Jack Brooking (Beach)
Jack Brooking, also referred to as Jack Beach or Jack Brooking (Beach), was born in 1927 and received degrees from Iowa State and Western Reserve Universities. He obtained a doctorate from Western Reserve in 1956.
Brooking started as an associate professor at the University of Kansas in 1955 and became a professor of Speech and Debate where he taught until 1974. During his time at KU he was involved in close to 40 theater productions, including both plays and musicals. He was also involved in theatrical productions in Costa Rica and Guatemala City on behalf of KU.
.75 Linear Feet (2 document cases + 1 oversize box, 1 oversize folder)
Scope and Contents
This collection includes programs, posters, slides, and/or photographs from these plays and musicals, organized by season:
- 1955-1956 season
- Lord Byron's Love Letter, Gammer Gurton's Needle, Stage Door, Pygmalion
- 1956-1957 season
- Ring Around the Moon, Trouble in Tahiti, House of Bernarda Alba, Gianna Schicchi
- 1957-1958 season
- Skin of Our Teeth, Seven Year Itch
- 1958-1959 season
- Carmen, Summer and Smoke, Once in a Lifetime
- 1959-1960 season
- The World of Scholem Aleichem
- 1960-1961 season (Guatemala 1956-1966)
- Look Homeward, Angel
- 1961-1962 season
- Joan of Arc at the Stake, Idiot's Delight
- 1963-1964 season
- Corn is Green
- 1964-1965 season
- Man for All Seasons, Mother Courage, Night of the Iguana
- 1965-1966 season
- Naive Swallows
- 1966-1967 season
- Oliver, School for Scandal
- 1967-1968 season
- Country Wife, Gypsy, MacBeth
- 1968-1969 season
- Grass Harp
- 1969-1970 season
- Prime of Miss Jean Brody, Rain
- 1970-1971 season
- 1971-1972 season
- 1972-1973 season
- Julius Caesar, Cabaret
- 1973-1974 season
- Tales of Hoffmann, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, Picnic
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Jack Brooking, 2011.
- Guide to the Jack Brooking Collection
- Personal papers of Jack Brooking
- Finding aid prepared by bas. Finding aid encoded by bas.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Jack Brooking Collection, PP 590, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas.