Documents of Abbey Dore
Documents concerning land conveyed to Abbey Dore, Herefordshire, England, mostly dating to the 13th century. Relates primarily to the Abbey's granges called Lincoyt and Lanveyr located near Grosmont and the forest of Severenny, Upper Gwent (present-day Monmouthshire). Land was issued by Hubert de Burgh; Edmund, earl of Lancaster; and private persons.
- approximately 1215-approximately 1300
- Burgh, Hubert de, -1243 (Person)
Language of Materials
Latin; Welsh (personal and place names)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
History of Dore Abbey
Dore Abbey in Herefordshire, England was founded in the year 1147 by French Cistercian monks. Construction of the permanent stone buildings began in 1175, and the abbey was consecreated in 1280. The monks at Dore were known for breeding sheep with fine wool, which was sold in Italy. The abbey was dissolved by King Henry VIII in 1537, its structures sold to John Scudamore. A later Scudamore descendent turned what remained of the abbey buildings over to become a parish church, which was re-consecrated in 1634. Sources: Friends of Dore Abbey webpage, http://www.doreabbey.org.uk/history.html (accessed October 2018).
4.5 Linear Feet (3 oversize boxes) : Each document single sheet (of varying sizes) in own folder; Court hand: English: 13th century (Several distinct types represented); Seals of different colors and types: see separate descriptions. Note that item 13 shows woman's seal.
Scope and Contents
All were Lords of the Three Castles of Gwent. The Three Castles (the Trilateral; Y Tair Tref; the castles of the justiciar) are Grosmont, Skenfrith, and White Castle; they are located west of the river Monnow and over 5 miles east of Abergavenny, Monmouth shire; they form a minor honour or marcher lordship which appears to control almost all the lands mentioned in these documents, except Treville and Abbey Dore itself. Many of these items have long lists of Welsh and Norman witnesses, and detailed descriptions of boundaries.
Other Finding Aids
Additional information about the collection is available at ksrl.sc.abbeydore.pdf.
Additional background information, not copied in the above pdf, is available in the Cat IV binder under "Abbey Dore" in the Spencer Research Library reading room. Please consult reference staff for assistance.
Many prior endorsements: some indicate that these belonged to the Abbey.
Collection formerly located at MS 191. Items are in individual wrappers; items are not in numerical order within each box, due to varying sizes, but retain existing number information.
- Guide to the Abbey Dore Collection
- Documents of Abbey Dore
- Finding aid prepared by alh, June 7, 1969. Finding aid encoded by skt, 2005. Finding aid revised by mwh, 2018.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Abbey Dore Collection, MS Q80, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas.