James and Fern Nelson-Coffin collection
This collection contains correspondence and newspaper clippings between Sergeant James Coffin, his future wife Fern Nelson, and their families during World War II.
- 1942 - 1945
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of James and Fern Nelson-Coffin
James A. Coffin and Fern Berniece Nelson met in Champaign-Urbana, Illinois before James shipped off in World War II. They corresponded back and forth for the duration of the war and later moved to the Kansas City area. Coffin served in Italy and Northern Africa with the 15th Air Force.
After his discharge, James Coffin held a career as a pharmacist, receiving his pharmacy degree from the University of Missouri-Kansas City.
.5 Linear Feet (1 document case)
The collection has been organized in chronological order by when the letters were sent. One folder of newspapers and related material is at the beginning of the collection.
RH MS 1501
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, John R. Coffin, 2019.
- Coffin, Fern Berniece -- Correspondence
- Coffin, James A., World War II veteran -- Correspondence
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American
- Guide to the James and Fern Coffin-Nelson Collection
- James and Fern Nelson-Coffin collection
- Finding aid prepared by gem. Finding aid encoded by gem.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
James and Fern Coffin-Nelson collection, RH MS 1501, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas