William P. Albrecht collection
This collecton consists of several collections formed by Professor William P. Albrecht of the University of Kansas' English Department to give his students practice in reading documents from the early modern and modern periods. This includes items at MS 18, which consist primarily of English and Scottish legal documents (manorial documents, notarial instruments, charters, court rolls, indentures, etc.), including documents by/pertaining to English monarchs dating from 1375, 1501-1689. Additionally, housed at varied MS P call numbers, is a collection of letters and autographs collected by Albrecht, dating from apprxomiately 1801-1962, by English, Irish, and American writers.
- 1375; 1501-1689; 1801-1962
- Albrecht, William Price, 1907-1986 (Compiler, Person)
Language of Materials
English; some legal documents in Latin or in Scottish dialect.
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
.5 Linear Feet (1 document case + 30 folders)
MS P5, MS P7
MS P22, MS P39, MS P45, MS P67, MS P68
MS P105, MS P162, MS P171, MS P173, MS P181, MS P191
MS P203, MS P225, MS P233, MS P245, MS P256, MS P280, MS P281, MS P285
MS P307, MS P348
Other Finding Aids
More detailed information about the English and Scottish legal documents located at MS 18 is available at ksrl.sc.albrechtwilliam.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gifts, William P. Albrecht, 1964, 1971.
Some items from Albrecht's collection of autographs and letters have been incorporated into artificial collections of autographs and correspondence for those specific individuals. They can be found at the following call numbers:
- Benjamin Disraeli collection, MS P23
- Thomas Carlyle collection, MS P60
- Thomas Chalmers collection, MS P62
- Thomas De Quincey collection, MS P91
- William Ewart Gladstone collection, MS P129
- Charles Kingsley collection, MS P176
- John Gibson Lockhart collection, MS P190
- Robert Southey collection, MS P295
- William Makepeace Thackeray collection, MS P317
- William Wordsworth collection, MS P355
- Thomas Babington Macaulay correspondence, part of the East India Company collection, MS 98
- Guide to the William P. Albrecht Collection
- William P. Albrecht collection
- Finding aid prepared by alh, 1964, 1971. Finding aid encoded by mwh, 2019.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Finding aid permalink