Robert Atkins Tovey, Senior collection
Call Number: RH MS P185
This collection includes letters written by Tovey to his wife Eliza, as well as a manuscript of Tovey's life in the Kansas Territory intended to help possible emigrants to the territory.
- January 23 - December 17, 1854; approximately 1856
- Tovey, Robert Atkins (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of Robert Atkins Tovey, Senior
Robert A. Tovey, an Englishman, came to Kansas in 1854 from Albany, New York, after marrying Eliza Matthew in 1847. After a period of illness, Tovey returned to New York where he wrote a manuscript, "A twelve months practical life in Kansas Territory written by an actual settler." The manuscript was never published.
RH MS P185
RH MS P186
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchase, Fred P. Farrar, 1973
- Guide to the Robert Atkins Tovey, Senior Collection
- Robert Atkins Tovey, Senior collection
- Finding aid prepared by lgg, 8 April 1973. Finding aid encoded by mg, 2004. Finding aid revised by mwh, 2020.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Robert Atkins Tovey, Senior collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS P185, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas