Lawrence Minervian Club collection
This collection includes meeting records, treasurer's reports, roll calls, constitutions, and newspaper clippings pertaining to the Lawrence Minervian Club. It also includes death notices, song books, photo albums, negatives, and individual photos. The literature appreciation club was founded in 1900 by a group of Lawrence, Kansas women.
- Creation: 1900-2012
- Minervian Club (Lawrence, Kan.) (Compiler, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Administrative History of the Minervian Club
The Minervian Club of Lawrence, Kansas was founded in 1900 by Mrs. N. Gentry, Mrs. Rw. Gorrill, and Mrs. Justus Howell during a social event at Barker Schoolhouse. It was designed for rural women with an emphasis on appreciation of the arts, specifically literature and music. The club was named after Minerva, the Roman Goddess of Wisdom and the Arts. The club motto was "Have courage and remember that to attempt much is to learn much."
1.75 Linear Feet (3 boxes + 1 oversize box)
Language of Materials
RH MS 1408
RH MS-P 1408
RH MS-P1408 (f)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gifts, Fran Rieck, 1982; Diane Throop, 2016.
Collection formerly located at RH MS P457.
- Guide to the Lawrence Minervian Club Collection
- Lawrence Minervian Club Collection
- Finding aid prepared by lt, 1982. Finding aid encoded by mg, 2004. Finding aid revised by lc, 2017.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid writtenin<language> English.</language>
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Lawrence Minervian Club Collection, RH MS 1408, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas.