Papers concerning Kansas Territory and Highland, Kansas
The first papers of the collection, dating from the 1830s to 1855, cover William Patton's residence in Missouri and receipts for purchases of enslaved persons. The latter portion of the collection includes papers from related families and kinsmen: Summers, Renfro. and Pryor Plank.
- 1834 - 1912
- Patton, William (Pioneer) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of William Patton
William Patton was one of the early pioneers who settled in Kansas Territory in 1855 and later became a member of the community of Highland, Kansas. Prior to settling in Kansas Territory, Patton lived in Randolph County, Missouri and was a slaveholder.
1 box (9 folders (170 items))
RH MS 135
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchase, Irvin family, 1964.
- Guide to the William Patton Collection
- Papers concerning Kansas Territory and Highland, Kansas
- Finding aid prepared by jma,10 April 1973. Finding aid encoded by mg, 2004.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
William Patton Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS 135, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas