Pre-emptions in Douglas County, Kansas
A record of land claims made in Douglas County, Kansas, prior to May 1854 when the county was removed from Shawnee Native American territory and opened for settlement by Anglo-Americans. The record is arranged by township/range and includes an appended index to the names.
- approximately 1854
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Scope and Contents
This photocopy comes from a 1926 copy made of the original pre-emptions volume, the fourth copy made after the original was lost in Quantrill's raid on Lawrence in August 1863. A scanned copy in .pdf format is also available.
RH MS P446
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Douglas County Genealogical Society, January 1982
- Guide to the Pre-emptions in Douglas County Collection
- Pre-emptions in Douglas County, Kansas
- Finding aid prepared by lt and jss, 1982. Finding aid encoded by mg, 2004. Finding aid revised by mwh, 2016.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Pre-emptions in Douglas County collection, RH MS P446, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas