Collection of George Ellis, First Lieutenant, Company I, 12th Kansas Infantry materials
Collection — Folder: 1
Call Number: RH MS P132
Biography of George Ellis written in 1953 by Howard C. Raynesford titled George Ellis, First Lieutenant, Company I, 12th Kansas Infantry. Ellis served as Lieutenant in the Kansas Infantry during the Civil War and was killed in battle. Ellis County and the town of Ellis in Kansas was named in his honor. Also included is a genealogy of the Ellis family, a photograph, and a photocopy of his military commission. Raynesford also gives a brief account of the naming of counties in western Kansas.
- 1862, 1953
- Raynesford, Howard C. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of George Ellis
Ellis served with the border patrol between Kansas and Missouri before the Civil War. In 1862 he served as First Lieutenant of Company I, of the 12th Kansas Infantry. His company was first stationed at Olathe, then moved to Lawrence, where they were located during during Quantrill's Raid. He was killed at the Battle of Jenkins Ferry, May 1, 1864.
1 folder (Copy of typed manuscript, photograph, and photocopy of military commission.)
RH MS P132
A mimeographed copy of the manuscript is also available in the Kansas Collection at RH E441.
- Ellis, George, 1832-1864
- Ellis, George, 1832-1864 -- Photographs
- Kansas -- History -- 1854-1861
- Kansas -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- History -- 19th century
- Lawrence Massacre, Lawrence, Kan., 1863
- Names, Geographical -- Kansas
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Regimental histories
- Guide to the Howard C. Raynesford Collection
- Collection of George Ellis, First Lieutenant, Company I, 12th Kansas Infantry materials
- kpz 16 February 1973; mg 2004
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Howard C. Raynesford Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS P132, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas