Papers of Charles Robinson
The collection of correspondence, documents, and addresses of Charles Robinson, housed in the Kansas Collection, is mainly from the period 1854 to 1861. Robinson was a resident agent for the New England Emigrant Aid Company and an advocate for the Free State, anti-slavery cause. There are items on the founding of the University of Kansas. There are also letters from Mrs. Robinson to F. W. Blackmar, the biographer of Governor Robinson.
- Creation: 1836 - 1911
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of Charles Robinson
Charles Robinson served as the first governor of Kansas. From 1864 to 1874 he was a regent of the University of Kansas and again in 1893 to 1894. He served two terms in the state Senate, one in 1874 and again in 1876. Later, from 1887 to 1889, he was superintendent of Haskell Institute in Lawrence. Under his leadership, a policy of industrial training was begun at Haskell. For additional biographical information see Dictionary of American Biography, vol. 16 and The Life of Charles Robinson, by F. W. Blackmar.
1 linear foot (2 document cases (423 items))
Language of Materials
RH MS 38
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift. F. W. Blackmar, 1929.
Existence and Location of Originals
Some items in the collection have been photocopied. Originals property of John Emick (addition 2/1/85)--see accession file for additional information.
- Lane, James Henry (James Henry), 1814-1866 (Person)
- Robinson, Sara T. L. (Sara Tappan Lawrence), 1827-1911 (Person)
- Lawrence, Amos Adams, 1814-1886 (Person)
- New England Emigrant Aid Company (Organization)
- University of Kansas -- History (Organization)
- Blackmar, Frank W. (Frank Wilson), 1854-1931 (Donor, Person)
- Guide to the Charles Robinson Collection
- Papers of Charles Robinson
- Finding aid prepared by lgg, 28 November 73. Finding aid encoded by mg, 2004.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in <language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Papers of Charles Robinson, Kansas Collection, RH MS 38, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas