Receipt, purchase of town lot in Iowa Point, Kansas Territory
- Creation: 1856-07-29
This handwritten receipt documents William Patton's purchase of one town lot in Iowa Point, Kansas Territory, from Harvey Forman, founder of the town. 1858 was the culminating point of the town's history. At that time it was the second largest city in Kansas and was a business rival to Leavenworth. Also in 1858, a ferry company was organized, with Forman as president, and a steam ferry-boat put in operation on the Missouri. The town built up rapidly, a brick-yard was started by Joseph Selecman, and this material was substituted for wood in almost all buildings erected from that time on (adapted from William G. Cutler's "History of the State of Kansas").