South Side Reading Club records
South Side Reading Club, Lawrence, Kansas, was organized in 1912. The collection consists of yearbooks and minute books.
- Creation: 1912 - 1984
- South Side Reading Club (Lawrence, Kan.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
History of the South Side Reading Club
The South Side Reading Club was organized in 1912 with the objective to promote intellectual growth and social culture. The club met promptly at 2:30 p.m. bi-weekly, September - May. Membership was limited to 18 women but in 1926 membership was increased to 24. Yearbooks were first issued in 1915. In 1916 the colors of gold and white and the daisy were adopted as the club colors and flower. Two songs were adopted in January 1928, the club song (When Every Two Weeks) and the friendship song (When the S.S.R, Club). By 1984, the group was meeting annually and most members were in favor of disbanding the club.
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents
The yearbooks contain individual programs for the year, the creed, the club song, the membership roster and various verses of poetry. The secretary minute books not only record the minutes of the meetings but contain membership information, dues and most recent version of the club constitution and bylaws.
RH MS 315
RH MS D284
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gifts, Helen Chase, January 1981; Mrs. Leo Ousdahl, 1992.
- Guide to the South Side Reading Club Collection
- South Side Reading Club records
- Finding aid prepared by jl 5/82; revised by mab, 2006; revised by skt, 2010. Finding aid encoded by by jl 5/82; revised by mab, 2006; revised by skt, 2010.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in <language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
South Side Reading Club Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS 315, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas
- 2018-12: Add additional physical location note