Women -- Kansas -- Lawrence -- Societies and clubs
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 32 records:
Call Number: RH MS 705
Overview The Afro-American Clubwomen's Project was a grant-funded collecting project, developed by the University of Kansas Women's Studies program, which sought to document the history of African American Women's clubs in Kansas.
Call Number: RH MS 736
Overview The Papers of Alberta Pitcher are those of a long time Lawrence, Kansas resident who worked in the houses of several University of Kansas fraternities.
Dates: 1923 - 1998
Call Number: RH MS 325
Overview Correspondence, records, photographs and miscellaneous papers of Anna Lawson Tonkinson spanning the years from 1913-1962.
Dates: 1913 - 1962
Call Number: RH MS 431
Overview The Emma E. Woods papers are those of a longtime Wichita, Kansas resident and dietitian who was an active member of various social groups, including the Booker T. Washington Literary and Art Club.
Dates: 1929 - 1983
Collection — Folder 1
Call Number: RH MS P752
Overview The Betty Washington Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, named in honor of George Washington's only sister, was founded at Lawrence, Kansas in 1896 to foster historic preservation, the study of U.S. history, historical research, and patriotism. This Family History Index is an alphabetical name index to the chapter's membership volumes dating to 1976. It was produced as a Bicentennial project of the chapter, and was edited by chapter librarian Barbara E. Clason. The collection...
Dates: 1976, 2005-2006
Call Number: RH MS 622
Overview The collection of Fay Stainbrook Talley, a longtime Lawrence, Kansas, resident, contains primarily photocopies of reference material for genealogical research, Talley family genealogical information, and materials relating to her participation in various clubs and organizations including the Lawrence Flower Club, Douglas County Historical Society, Rebekah Lodge, and Pilot Club.
Dates: 1870 - 2006
Call Number: RH MS 94
Overview Friends in Council of Lawrence, Kansas, was founded in 1871 as a women's organization dedicated to cultural enrichment of its members. The collection includes records of members, constitution with amendments, minutes, and clippings.
Dates: 1871 - 2016
Call Number: RH MS CK25
Overview The Ingleside Club was founded in October 1894 in Lawrence, Kansas, with a membership of nine women. Originally known as the Eureka Club, the name changed to the Ingleside Club by 1896. The members of the club were "dedicated to the enrichment of their minds" through the study of literature and attendance at lectures, plays or musical recitals. They also contributed their time, efforts, and donations to charitable endeavors. These records include the club's yearbook programs, historical notes,...
Dates: 1899 - 1988
Call Number: RH MS C13
Overview Minute books of the Iota Nu Book Club, a women's book club held in Lawrence, Kansas. Minutes typically provide brief synopsis of each meeting's program, as well as treasurer's reports and anything else discussed at the meeting. Program content typically included not only a member providing a report about a book but also musical entertainment that may have been provided by members or non-members. Volumes may also include copies of the club's constitution and bylaws; roll call for each...
Dates: 1926 - 1956
Collection — Folder 1
Call Number: RH MS P843
Overview This collection of documents relates to the Kansas Association of Colored Women's Clubs, particularly the 1977 State Annual Communication in Arkansas City, Kansas.
Call Number: RH MS 620
Overview The Ladies Literary League of Lawrence, Kansas, was founded in 1882 as the Etesian Club, a women's reading club originally formed to promote culture and social intercourse. Within a few years, the group changed its name to the Ladies Literary League (LLL). This collection includes the club's records, correspondence, clippings, photographs, governance documents, yearbook/program books, secretary minute books, a recipe book, reminiscences, and histories written by club members over the years.
Dates: 1882 - 2014
Call Number: RH MS 149
Overview The Lawrence (Kansas) Business and Professional Women's Club was founded to improve the professional, personal, economic and educational outlook for women. The records of the club include yearbooks, scrapbooks, programs, minutes, correspondence, clippings, photographs, and other miscellaneous materials.
Dates: 1919 - 1995
Call Number: RH MS 693
Overview The Papers of Marguerite Hill are those of a longtime Lawrence, Kansas resident and teacher.
Dates: 1939 - 1984
Call Number: RH MS 1091
Overview These papers of Lawrence, Kansas resident Mervyn Anderson document her active involvement in various service organizations, including the League of Women Voters, Friends in Council of Lawrence, and the University Women's Club of the University of Kansas. Included are clippings and records of her presidency of the Lawrence League of Women Voters and her personal recollections of challenges faced in seeking League support during its early years.
Dates: 1956 - 1987
Call Number: RH MS 854
Overview This collection contains the minutes and treasury records of the Midland Rural Club of Lawrence (Douglas County), Kansas, a women's club which formed on January 24, 1904 for the mutual enjoyment of its members and was in existence through May 18, 1978.
Dates: 1939 - 1978
Call Number: RH MS E161
Overview The No Name Club, a woman's literary club, was organized in February 1876, under the name, The Ladies' Reading Circle. In December 1876, the club voted to change the name to the No Name Club. The collection consists of fourteen bound volumes containing meeting minutes, attendance rolls, newspaper clippings, and photographs. No Name Club programs for years 1889-2005 are found at RH Ser C1260.
Dates: 1879 - 2004
Call Number: RH MS E139
Overview The G.A.R. in Kansas was organized shortly after the Civil War. This collection consists of thirteen manuscript volumes. Twelve of these volumes are minutes of the organizations meetings. The thirteenth volume is a membership roster.
Dates: 1893-1930; 1896-1916
Call Number: RH MS 795
Overview The Mother's Discussion Club of Lawrence, Kansas, was founded in 1934 to study and exchange ideas about child nurturing and development. The group gradually disbanded over several years in the late 1980s. This collection includes most of the secretary minute notebooks from 1934-1984, the treasurer's ledger from 1934-1947, and correspondence and cards.
Dates: 1934 - 1984
Collection — Box 1
Call Number: RH MS 809
Overview The Mother's League of Lawrence, Kansas, was founded in 1913 to study and exchange ideas about child development and home life. Eventually the group changed its focus of study to include other interesting and inspirational topics. This collection includes the secretary minute notebooks from 1916-1979.
Dates: 1916 - 1979
Call Number: RH MS 679
Overview The Ne Plus Ultra Art and Literary Club records are those of a local collective effort among Topeka, Kansas, women to promote unity and goodwill through domestic artwork, literature and community service.
Dates: 1913 - 1969
Call Number: RH MS 17
Overview Margaret Stockton was involved in community involvement and social work in Lawrence, Kansas, especially the Council of Social Agencies and the Recreation Commission. This collection comprises Stockton's papers of her community work and also personal and family matters.
Dates: 1912 - 1966
Call Number: RH MS 181
Overview This collection contains the records of the Plymouth Congregational Church of Lawrence, Kansas, dating from its founding in the 1850s to the present day. The collection includes a wide variety of administrative documentation, including committee and organizational meeting minutes, orders of service, financial records, membership information, photographs, building specifications and architectural drawings, mortgage and property information, correspondence, and other related materials.
Dates: 1854 - 2010
Call Number: RH MS 253
Overview Sarah Richardson founded the Quivira Club in 1895 in Lawrence, Kansas with an aim for mutual improvement and study. This collection consists of meeting minutes, reports and records, photographs, copies of written presentations given at the club, and newspaper clippings relating to the women's club.
Dates: 1910 - 2003 (bulk 1940-1990s)
Call Number: RH MS 550
Overview The Altrusa Club of Lawrence, Kansas is a local chapter of Altrusa International, Inc. The club is a business and professional women's service organization whose members represent a diverse range of occupations and fields. The collection is arranged into three main series: 1) Lawrence Chapter, including the club's history, minutes, officer and committee files, financial and membership records, newsletters, yearbooks, correspondence, and general subject files; 2) District Eight; and 3) Altrusa...
Dates: 1951 - 2013
Call Number: RH MS 597
Overview La Sertoma is a women's service organization. The Lawrence chapter of La Sertoma International was founded in 1930 as the Lawrence Co-Operette Club; the group's name was changed in 1951. This collection contains assorted papers of the La Sertoma Club, including correspondence, programs, rosters, booklets and newsletters, scrapbooks, yearbooks, correspondence, and organizational documents.
Dates: 1930 - 2000