Records of the La Sertoma Club of Lawrence, Kansas
La Sertoma is a women's service organization. The Lawrence chapter of La Sertoma International was founded in 1930 as the Lawrence Co-Operette Club; the group's name was changed in 1951. This collection contains assorted papers of the La Sertoma Club, including correspondence, programs, rosters, booklets and newsletters, scrapbooks, yearbooks, correspondence, and organizational documents.
- 1930 - 2000
- La Sertoma Club (Lawrence, Kan.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
History of La Sertoma
A group of Kansas City, Missouri business- and professional men met on April 5, 1912 to attend the first organizational meeting of the Stand Together Club. The name quickly changed to the Co-Operative Club when the group met again on April 11 that same year, with a mission to progress the improvement of the community.
The women's auxiliary, the Co-Operettes, was begun in 1923 when the wives of the Manhattan, KS club formed their own branch. In 1928 the Co-Operettes became a national organization, and the Lawrence, Kansas branch was founded in 1930 as the Lawrence Co-Operette Club.
In 1950 the men's organization became Sertoma, a contraction of "SERvice TO MAnkind," and the motto became "Make Life Worthwhile through SERvice TO MAnkind." The women's organization followed suit, and the Lawrence women's branch became known as La Sertoma in 1951.
The national men's organization began accepting women in 1985.
7 Linear Feet (8 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
RH MS 597
RH MS 1067
RH MS R114
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gifts, Jane Golden, 1993-1994; Richard Haun, 1994-1997; Delores Stinson, 1994-2002; Wauneta Perry Hamilton, 2000.
Materials now located at RH MS 1067 were formerly described and found via their accession numbers at 1994-06-28, 1994-07-05, 1994-08-04, 1995-01-37, 1997-08-05, 1997-10-04, 2000-11-11, and 2003-03-12.
- Guide to the La Sertoma Collection
- Records of the La Sertoma Club of Lawrence, Kansas
- Finding aid prepared by ha/mab, 2005; revised by skt, 2010. Finding aid encoded by ha/mab, 2005; revised by skt, 2010; gem, 2019.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in <language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Records of the La Sertoma Club of Lawrence, Kansas, Kansas Collection, RH MS 597, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas
- 2019-06-10: Updated for version 1.5, cleaned up ASpace record, prepped for student processor to add info about records located at RH MS 1067, mwh
- 2019-06-27: Data entry for 6 lf at RH MS 1067, gem