Friends in Council records
Call Number: RH MS 94
Friends in Council of Lawrence, Kansas, was founded in 1871 as a women's organization dedicated to cultural enrichment of its members. The collection includes records of members, constitution with amendments, minutes, and clippings.
- 1871 - 2016
- Friends in Council (Lawrence, Kan.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
History of Friends in Council, Lawrence, Kansas
The Lawrence Friends in Council was founded in 1871 by Elizabeth Perkins Leonard who came to Lawrence from Quincy, Illinois. She had been appointed professor of modern languages, drawing and painting at the University. While in Quincy, Miss Leonard had been a member of the newly formed women's study club called Friends in Council. She recognized that such a group in Lawrence could provide an outlet for women who missed cultural activities in the East; thus, she and several of her friends met in her living quarters and organized the Friends. Jane A. Snow, Emma Thacher, and Mary Frances Simpson, who was the first public librarian in Lawrence, were among those who formed the club. Over the years the women studied and read a broad range of topics, including literature, history, art and music. During the late 1920s the Friends became more service oriented, e.g, providing quarters for social service women, money for maternity loans, participating in hospital auxiliary and public welfare work. They also provided money for University scholarships. Such activities as these have been continued by the Friends over the years.
3.25 Linear Feet (7 document cases + 25 volumes)
RH MS 94
RH MS 769
RH MS 1313
RH MS 1424
RH MS AK5
RH MS C42
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gifts, Allan Busch, 1976; Georgana Torres, 2015, 2016.
- Friends in Council (Lawrence, Kan.) -- Records and correspondence
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- Social life and customs
- Women -- Kansas -- Lawrence -- Societies and clubs
- Guide to the Friends in Council Collection
- Friends in Council records
- Finding aid prepared by pg, 1975, 1976; skt 2006; revised by, cl 2010; revised by skt, 2010;revised by eear, 2015; revised by mes, 2016; revised by tmw, 2017.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Friends in Council records, RH MS 94, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas